Teminator 3 R3 comes with DTS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Oh, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I picked up R3 CTS release of T3 last weekend. Interesting thing is that this came with DTS. I don't believe that R1 WB release has this. All the extras and commentaries seem to be the same as the R1.

R3 comes with DD 5.1 in English and Thai are both recorded at 386 and an excellent DTS in 784. 2 commentaries are at 192, I believe.

Video is also very good. It's hard for me to be wowed since the last several DVDs I have purchased (Reloaded, Nemo, Lion King...) have been stellar.

Extras, which are same as the ones in R1, felt weak. Yes, I have been spoiled by T2 UE. All the extras are short in length and I hated the format where each segment starts out with a question on a monitor and goes into an explanation. This got old. Documentary included is about 12~13 minutes and is a pre-opening HBO style piece. The best extra may be the commentary with Arnold, other cast, director, etc. Commentary is each speaking separately and edited together. I've only heard part of the beginning with Arnold. His comments about breast enlarging scene, and TX appearing nude is in keeping with his character?! He is also very proud of his body and talks on and on about how important it was for him to get in shape.

I normally purchase R1, but could not resist getting this early with DTS. It would be interesting to see if the R1 DD is recorded in 448 or 386.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Warners R1 doesn't use DTS anymore.
    (there are some exceptions, but they were discs created by 3rd parties and released by the Bros. [ala: True Romance])

3. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Was the DTS sound mix any good?

4. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

I am getting sooooo, fricken tired of all the other worldy regions getting DTS and we keep getting over looked. Is DTS really that much more popular overseas? I though the lack of DTS in North America was that it is a small market of people that have the ability to decode DTS. Surely that is changing as it is hard to find a receiver that doesn;t have it, but is it that much more common elsewhere in the world?

5. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

The R2 will have DTS also...

Vincent

6. Zak Hepburn

Zak Hepburn Stunt Coordinator

It appears R4 will have DTS as well,another local disc I can buy[​IMG]

7. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

Krystian C

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I hear that's for maximum home theater experience.

9. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

Warner knows that they can re-release this in the future with DTS and a few extra features, and the public will buy them up. If they know it's a sure thing, they're going to double-dip.

10. Tin-Lun Lau

Tin-Lun Lau Stunt Coordinator

i also have the R3 Terminator 3 DVD.

i was cracking up at the Schwarzennegger commentary. he said people would compare his body now to his body then (20 years ago when the first was made). i laughed even harder when he said "berserk" which sounded like "ber-swurk").

and Claire Danes sounds like a bimbo in her commentary. (hence the "it's so hard to talk while watching a movie" statement). the icing on the cake is Kristanna Loken. her voice is sexy......i don't recall her being this sexy before. she looked like a girl in puberty back in her Mortal Kombat days.

one more thing...i notice a slight error in the 5.1 track. in the scene where John and Kate are in the factory when the TX is stuck in the magnet. i hear echoing in the dialogue. The background music and effects and everything seem to be fine. just the talking. this only happens for a few seconds and then, it goes back to normal after that. did anyone else with the R3 version have the same occurance?

11. AlexK

AlexK Extra

Is the R3 a two-disc set?

12. AlexK

AlexK Extra

And does it include both commentaries? I can only find references to a single commentary.

13. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Tin I have not seen the movie yet, & a spoiler tag would have been appreciated. [​IMG]
    I'm also disappointed in the lack of DTS on R1 titles these days.

Todd

14. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

R3 is a 2 disc set and comes with 2 commentaries.

BTW, R3 comes with a crappy amaray case. One where a disc is held (more like locked) on both sides. It also comes with an ho-hum 4 page insert (1 sheet of paper folded in half).

15. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

which DTS version is NTSC? and where can I buy one right now?

16. AlexK

AlexK Extra

Thanks Tom.

The R3 is NTSC, Robert. Ordered mine at dddhouse.com for 190 HK$ incl. shipping, that's 21 EUR or 25 US$.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

While a re-release is likely, Warner doesn't do DTS; so, I wouldn't expect it.

18. RyoS

RyoS Auditioning

Are the menus on the R3 DVD the same as the R1 DVD but in Chinese and are they anamorphic? Also would you say the Transfer on the R3 is reference quality?