What's new

Tell the Manufacturer's what we want in a receiver or pre/pro... (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Maybe this has been done before... (it would be nice if there was an option to create a poll of features that automatically updates itself... )anyway...
It appears we all have been destined to sit back and wait to see what "features" are being released on the next latest and greatest offering(s) from various manufacturers.
Once released, the pre/pro OR receiver is scrutinized. The upsides and detriments to the unit are reviewed. There's always a little surprise expressed regarding the omission of xxxx.
So, I suggest we have at 'er. Start listing the features that are "Must Haves" and "Nice to Haves" for YOU to consider giving the offering a serious look.
I will leave it open with regards to power on the receivers.
Here is an example of just a couple of priorities in my search:
Must Have:
-Logic 7
-Bass Management (anyone... plz!)
-DD-EX
-DPL II
-Assignable Outputs when adding an Amp
-Firewire or other software upgradeability system
-Ease of sound configuration / Automated Balance based on personal preferences between differing processing modes (e.g. no Bass Drop off)
Nice to Have:
-THX Ultra 2
-Dual Zone
-Remote Control Sold Separately (maybe I have a Pronto already)
-Black Power Button :D
Manu. Reps, your input is appreciated.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
-Bass Management (anyone... plz!)
Probably should read "Bass Management on 5.1 inputs"

Other things:

Being able to assign which set of surrounds for a given source. For example, in a 7.1 speaker configuration, I would use the surrounds and the rear surrounds for movies, but for music, I'd like the surround information to go to the rear surrounds, since that is the better place for them.

Maybe another set of 5.1 inputs to support both SACD and DVD-A. (Tho I think that might be better handled externally.)

Jason

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Logic 7 - good luck ($$RTU$$)

Since Bass Mgmt in digital domain is a given for dig inputs and sometimes offered even for analog inputs (with extra A-D and D-A), I assume the area worth pursuing for us customers would be fully selectable (read a true OFF mode)analog bass mgmt for each analog input. Included would be different x-over freqs for different speakers (for multich sources), analog bypass for all signals above the x-over, and no bass doubling below. Of course, more $$$$ to get what would essentially be a full-featured digital bass mgmt offering implemented in analog mode.

Will I need this stuff? Don't know.

Doug

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
What about....

1) Capability to rename/relabel inputs

2) A/D conversion for output (analog source is also digitized for MD/CD-RW recording

3) Discrete IR codes, with stnadarized IR wireline input (Xantech)

4) RS-232 codes for each function adn discretee volume levels

5) predefined voume levels for power on;

6) capability to turn off front display...

7) for receiver, capability to turn amp stage off totally...

8) audio only mode, video circuitry off;

_zjt

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Good point on the Pronto... maybe just no remote with the unit. Then a host of optional remotes could be purchased, based upon the want/needs of the consumer.

e.g. Basic, Full Feature, Backlit, LCD

Back to it though... A manufacturer wants to get a consensus on must haves versus nice to haves... the nice to haves could be features that if it didn't have it, would not turn you away, but if it were available, you may splurge for it.

Please differentiate the Nice versus Must.

Thanks... (btw, everyone must have an opinion on this, no?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks