What's new

Tell me why I need dvd software on my pc... (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
...for my miniDV home movies. When I can just buy a Firewire compatible DVD Recorder??
I have been reading every post I can by you guys. It seems the process is long and tedious to transfer to my PC, as well as taking HUGE ammounts of space on my hard drive..., and then to DVD, only top find out that it will not play on my DVD player anyways...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Wait, can you explain further? Why won't they play on your DVD player? Is your player really old? Most players made in the last 4 years or so should play most all recordable media. Most people want to move the movies to their computers to edit them before burning to DVD.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I just transfered some old movies from my tape to DVD using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory with no problem. That program will allow you to burn straight to DVD from your miniDV.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Kevin,

As stated above, newer players will play most recordable media, including dual-layer media. Quality media is very important to insure good burns and compatible playback. There is plenty of up-to-date information available from media vendors regarding media/burner/player compatibility.

-Gary

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Of course, that could be a problem with a DVD created by a stand-alone DVD recorder as well. If you favorite player doesn't play DVDs created on a PC, chances are it won't play those coming from a SA DVD recorder either...

-Christian

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Well my dvd player is no dinosaur, it's an Onkyo DV-CP 701, and I have been using every recording media I have, to attempt to record a nice home movie dvd. I have Nero OEM, My DVD, Record NOW, and some freeware...But all I've been able to produce is a nice CD that plays on the computer, complete with wipes/transitions, and titles, but no chapters, as I'm unsure how to create those. My Nero states that I need to buy the MPEG 4 to create a dvd... so ok no prob. But the others are set up to transfer and still no luck.

Yes I just followed that thread, but exactly my point, why spend a couple more bills for a program, when I could upgrade to a stand alone dvd recorder?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Right - some players will not play rewritable DVDs, some will play -R but not +R, etc., etc. It may also depend on how you code the DVD. If anything a PC-based DVD recording solution will probably give you more options and ability to test and fine-tine. (Hell, once you've created a digital file from some analog source it takes much less time to burn it to different types of discs and using different options than a "straight" DVD recorder which has to digitize and record the analog material each time. Could save a lot of time in the long-run.)

Regards,

Joe

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
A CD with DVD-formatted contents (sometimes referred to as miniDVD) will play in very few players, it's just not what they expect to find on a CD.

Or did you mean to say you used a blank DVD, not CD?

-Christian

Kevin G.

Second Unit
No I used a blank DVD-R, but it looks to be in a video CD format and not encoded as a dvd.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are you using trial versions of the software or do you have the full versions? The trial versions often will not encode MPEG-2 which is required for use in DVD players. Also, what MPEG-2 settings are you using when you record.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
My Nero is full but will not encode...(I always get a popup that says upgrade) All others came with the Dell.
But, again I ask...why buy a 200 dollar program...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You can buy a $50 program that will do everything.

Personally I don't consider a stand alone box an upgrade. They offer no flexibility and you can't use them to back up data on your computer. Also, if your player won't play discs burned [correctly] on a computer then it won't play discs burned on a stand alone either.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Adobe Premiere Elements is also very good and its price falls between the two programs Parker mentioned.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Thank you all VERY much, sorry for playing devil's advocate, but I have been so frustrated trying to make these dvd's that I really considered buying a recorder. I will definitely look into the ULEAD programs. I will try to update as I go .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks