Tell me the future.............

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Father John A, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

I in a conundrum.

I have $1500 to spend on a new set. I am currently using a 12+ year old Trinitron. I am very pro Sony. Unfortunately the 27" is looking old and tired and a bit too small.

Here is my problem. I am tempted to get a Sony 36" tube. It is my understanding that I can manage one with 1080i HD, Pulldown and every other bell and whistle for around my price range. HOWEVER, I am concerned that within 2 years the 42" flat screens will be in that same price range (that is what I really want). If my suspicion is correct I will be out a considerable chunk of money and wishing I had waited.

What would you do?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Fr. John

2. Agustin

Agustin Agent

buy your new set, maybe its true the lowdown on the price, but yo want so see the new set now, or in two years?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though I am not prophet, Father John, I can tell you that better technology is always coming along and, with displays, prices are always coming down. As Agustin notes, you may as well buy now and luxuriate in the vast picture-quality improvement a KV-36HS510 affords over your twelve-year-old 27-inch Sony. Why wait? Life is short, and progressive-scan DVD is good.

4. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

This is a touch dilemma indeed...one many of us have gone through (sometimes more than once).

Near-term...any widescreen 1080i compliant TV that is HD ready should hold you for several years. DVI connectivity would be preferred, but not critical.

I, too have been a Sony fan for some time...but have learned that paying more just for their name recognition is not prudent. I have gone into Marantz, Onkyo, and other brands for equipment, only to be surprised as to both quality performance and value (lower prices).

Best wishes on your hunt...

5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

You can find good 50-inch or so HD widescreen RPTVs for $1500. I would go with one.

6. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

The new Panny's have DVI and the 47in can be had for around that price or lower. That would give you a highly regarded CRT projection set with the DVI interface. For something newer in technology for that price you most likely would be waiting another 2-3 years. Ask yourself if 2-3 years down the road you would be sorry you spent the money for something like the Panny. The most interesting thing I've seen lately is the Motorola technology which in 3 years or so could be producing 50 in thin displays for $700 or so, but who knows.

7. Father John A

Thanks for all the input.

Heres where I'm at:

I don;t think I can abide a RPTV, I have yet to see a sharp one, though I admit they are better than ever AND I doubt if I've ever seen one set up properly (viewing sets at Best Buy leaves one lacking). I would also have a hard time with the viewing angles. I don;t like the idea of someone not being able to see the picture if they are not directly in front.

I had hoped the DLPRPs would have better and cheaper. Personally I don't see the benefit of this technology.

I KNOW I want 42". So if I get the DVCRT 36" now I will be pining in a short time for the cheaper plasmas that will inevitably arrive in the not too distant future. I love the idea of the 36" tube but I dont like the loss of 16:9 screen size versus the 42" 16:9.

I am afraid the only answer is to wait even longer. Incidentally that is becoming harder as the RCA inputs on the rear of my Trinitron have a short and need to be wiggled to get video ocassionally.

If only the RPTVs were better. I guess they are cheap for a reason.

Fr. John

8. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I have no problems at all seeing from a bit of an angle with our RPTV. Not an EXTREME angle, but then who the hell WANTS to watch ANY TV from an extreme angle?

9. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

10. Jack Briggs

The good father is receiving good advice here. But I really think he may be happier with direct-view technology—and there's nothing wrong with that. The 36-inch Sony is an excellent set; the only drawback I can see is that the thing is pretty darn heavy (more than 200 pounds), and, thus, a sturdy and expensive stand is necessary.

11. Mark Zimoski

Mark Zimoski Auditioning

I'm in a similar position albeit at a higher price point. I'm hooked on FPDLP. The problem of buying into rapidly evolving technology is a difficult one. The question of how much better can it get in how much time for how much less money has had me approach and balk at the purchase jump a few times now.
    I started out this journey a few years ago lusting after a Pioneer Elite 50 inch HD RPTV to be the centerpiece of my home theater system. (I currently own a Sony 36" Wega NTSC TV.) At that time it would have cost me between six and seven thousand dollars. Front projection HDCRT (at least those that I saw and liked) was way out of my price range. Other fiscal responsibilities prevented purchase at that time and over the ensuing years the development of DLP, plasma, and LCD and now Motorola's nanotube (not here yet of course) has kept me waiting in the wings. That Elite (60 inches in its third version now with improvements) set is now available (if you include the rebate from Pioneer) in stores for $4500.
    Other format agreement issues have kept me on the sidelines. I seem to remember Joe Kane (forgive me if I'm mistaken here) in an issue of WSR a couple of years back counseling to wait until there were more sets available that would do 720p natively. Now many articles I'm reading are talking about how great 1080p will be.
    I know one has jump in sometime, but I can't seem to reconcile my wanting the best that I can afford (maybe even more with some stretching!) today vis-a-vis perhaps buying something a lot less expensive now so I can do it again in a few years when things get that much better and cheaper. Spending big bucks on a home theater isn't something I can do every five years. Anyway, I feel your pain! Good luck.

12. Father John A

Thanks again! All really helpful input.

With all this advice I think I am coming to a conclusion that will work, I THINK [​IMG]

Since I KNOW I want a 42" flat screen (probably plasma) I am going to have to wait. On the other hand I would like a bigger than 27" screen without the problems of my aging set now. I think I have a compromise.

I beleive that I failed to mention earlier that most of my watching is widescreen DVDs. I watch very little cable and am not too concerned abot picture quality there. Also, since I am not too concerned about broadcast now (HDTV) I can wait for that capability until I upgrade to the 42" a couple years down the road.

So I think I can spend $5-600 on a 32" Sony now and not be too put out when I have to upgrade within a couple years. The question is this:

Can I get a good Sony 32" for that price that will do a good job with DVDs? What specs do I "have" to have (I still don't understand pull-down)?

Well I resting this idea on your shoulders! Thanks for the help:b

Fr. John

13. Jack Briggs

From your other thread, it looks as if you've decided on the NTSC-only KV-32FS100. Since it's strictly an interim purchase, no problem. As for 2:3 pulldown, it won't apply to this model. (FYI, 2:3 pulldown circuitry compensates for the different frame rates of film and video when the video in question is sourced from film. The result is the elimination of jagged diagonal lines and motion artifacts.) Keep us posted!