Tell Me Something (Korean Thriller)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeLuca, Apr 3, 2002.

1. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

I notice that the Korean serial killer thriller "Tell Me Something" is being released on May 14th in R1. Does anyone have any specs for this DVD? Is it uncut, anamorphic, Dolby Digital? I saw the trailer for this movie and it looks amazing. Thanks.

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    John, the only site where I can find this listed is amazon.com
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0220806
    Above is imdb link which leads to Amazon.
    The film is listed as to be released by Kino on May 14 as you indicate. The run time is listed as 116 minutes for the DVD. imdb lists as 118 minutes.I have the original Korean DVD and will post the run time on the Korean DVD which is likely not cut. As I recall, there were some very strong scenes. This is also indicated by imdb. It appears that this film has some fair international distribution. I watched this about a year ago and I recall that it was pretty good thriller. Korean films are starting to get a fair amount of international attention and are doing particularly well in Japan market. Shiri, JSA and Friend (opens this weekend in Tokyo) Lately most of the DVDs out of Korea are of high quality, anamorphic and with English subtitles. Note I said "most". I recall that the Korean release of Tell Me Something was marked as anamorphic and was not....I will need to check.

3. John DeLuca

Thanks for the info Roger. I'm curious if your Korean DVD is anamorphic or not. I did hear that some of the DVD's were marked incorrectly but since you have the release, I'd like to hear what your thoughts are about it. The websites list it as anamorphic but they can be wrong. I am so hooked on Asian films that I'm becomming poor [​IMG] Between Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike, Shiri and so many others, I can't get enough. You know it's bad when my mother in law goes to France and I ask her to buy me the DVD of Hana-Bi because I hear it's the best version with English subtitles. I guess you can say I'm hooked [​IMG]

4. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    John, I will need to do the checking this weekend on Tell Me Something. Hana-bi as released in Japan has Japanese subtitles. We are lucky to have stores in Tokyo that import DVDs from all over the world and stock a lot of titles. They have nearly everything Region 1 and good Europe, Korea and Hong Kong sections.

5. John DeLuca

Great, thanks Roger. I've always wanted to go to Japan and it's great that you can get basically any DVD you want there.

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

My Korean version of Tell Me Something is 118 minutes.

7. John DeLuca

Thanks for the info Mark. One other question. Is your DVD anamorphic? I'm just trying to figure out the best version to get. There's the Korean version, the Hong Kong version, and the new R1 coming out.

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Yes, the Korean disc is 1.85:1 anamorphic. Most Korean DVDs are Anamorphic. In fact, of all the Korean dvds I have (about 15) all are anamorphic.

9. John DeLuca

Cool. Thanks for the info Mark.

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

So the upcoming R1 version is going to be cut?

11. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

is there a R0 version of the Korean cut? I noticed that alot of the Korean stuff i get is region code less.

12. John DeLuca

I've been looking into this for the past few days and it looks like all versions will be cut. In Korea, they supposedly don't like movies to be over 2 hours long so they can show more during the day. Because of this, they edit the movie to keep it under 2 hours long. Once they edit the movies, they have a habit of destroying the footage that's been cut unfortunately. I heard this happened with Tell me something and also Bichunmoo.

Edit: Robert, yes the Korean version is Region 0.