Tell me about your in-wall subwoofer.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip Hamm, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm considering putting one in my new home. Specifically on an outside wall in a basement home theater.

Tell me about yours!

2. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Frame-less in-wall subs, or any speakers have limitations. There are pro's and con's of in-walling. I in-walled two 15" subs on my display wall. It pleases your signifant other, but has sonic limitations. I did not use a 1/3 Octave EQ, or a RTA, but I did notice a change in how articulate the bass became. It seemed to become more boomy. The problem with in-walls are that you cannot move the cabinet away from the walls for less reflected sound. But the bennies are stealth design, (nothing shows) and louder bass. The best setup would be to place the sub and LCR satellites a couple of feet from the front and side walls and cover them with a THX microperfed screen. Commercial theaters like that design.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm considering framed in-wall subs. I think I may go for it.

4. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Go for it Philip, the benefits out-way any minimal excessive low frequency boast. I tell you when friends come over to watch a DVD and hear all the bass they ask if it all comes from your little satellite speakers they are amazed. Then you tell them about you in-wall sub and they get impressed. It demonstrates custom installation.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yeah, I'm going to do it. I may not go enclosed because of cost. I'm leaning towards two of this model in-wall sub one right on top of the other.

I'm having a non-custom home built and my builder contracts with a custom installer for all non electrical wiring. My house is going to be wired out the gazoo with dual coax, phone, and cat 5 network cables throughout. I'm going to have speakers in my dining room and kitchen ceilings. It's all going to feed to a 19" rack in the basement with patch bays and other goodies. The rack and patch bays will be right behind the movie room. The company will do anything I want, but the stuff they sell tends to be expensive. I asked him "can I buy my own speakers and hand them to you to install?" and he said no problem.

They're also installing an in-wall rack for my front accessible gear to go. Real slick. It's definitely going to look and feel like a "custom install". And with my 1996 NTSC projector as the centerpiece! [​IMG]

My rear two for 7.1 are going to be in-walls, I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to buck up for in-wall B&Ws to match my 602s and 601s yet.

And yes, I am installing a cable conduit and an outlet in the ceiling for a projector some day down the road.