Tell me about "The Music" - Brit Rock Band

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Never heard of these guys before, but their track "Freedom Fighters" is the free iTunes song of the week, and a killer track it is.

If you are an iTunes user, and like somewhat melodic hard rock, the track is well worth the effort to download it. Kind of has a Dokken, or maybe an LA Guns or Ratt vibe going for it. Definetly a mid to late 80's kind of sound.

I sampled the two LPs listed at iTunes (The Music, and Welcome to the North") and there are some tasty tracks there.

Nothing you haven't heard before, but the component parts are blended in a way that maybe makes them sound somewhat unique.

Between the two LPs, there is probably one LP worth of good stuff, but then again, its hard to judge with 30 second samples.

Anyway, here's the bands web site:

http://www.themusic.co.uk/go/home/

BGL

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Indeed, a very late 80's, LA rock & roll type of music. The frontman, however, has a voice that gets on my nerves.

In summary: I won't be buying.

3. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

I have the first CD "The Music." It's good, but honestly I haven't listened to it in about a year. A couple great tracks and a lot of OK ones. I always thought they sounded like a cross between Led Zeppelin and Jane's Addiction, with just a little electro ala Jamiroquai thrown in. The 80's thing may be their direction on the new album, I haven't heard it.

They are really good live. That was my first experience with them - they opened for Coldplay.

4. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

In Sept, I was in Athens at one of my family's houses and I was up late watching their music channel, and all of a sudden I hear these awesome guitars, something that I havent heard in music in a while. It was really exciting to me, I made myself remember the name of the song and when I came home a few weeks later, I searched online for it, it was "Welcome to the North" so I got the album, and I love it, I was really surprised nobody around here knew of them, But I think its a great album, I'm curious to hear their first album the self titled one. But I couldnt find it anywhere. Im acctually surprised someone mentioned them on here.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well Jean, thank iTunes for that!

If it were not for iTunes, I would likely NOT have heard of them. Well, actually, they may get some play on XM Radio...but as for "normal" commercial music outlets, Fuggedaboutit!

I have a growing collection of iTunes' "Free Tuesday" downloads. I have had iTunes since February, and have bought exactly one song (U2's "Vertigo"). But at 128K, the SQ is just plain bad....I won't be buying again. But its a great place to check out new music. I did buy the latest Janes Addiction based on one of those tracks being available free.....and a great CD it is.

Both "The Music" albums are on iTunes, so you can listen to the 30 second samples. I agree with Bill..some really good stuff, and some stuff that I can live without.

And the massive guitars of "Freedom Fighter" really pulled me in. A great, great track.

BGL