What's new

Tell me about San Antonio... (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
I'm gonna be going to UT San Antonio starting June 6th, but I don't know a lot about the city in general. If y'all who live there or who have spent some time there could offer your comments or suggestions about anything, I would looove it!

thanks

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It's a nice place, with better weather than you have now, but the politics is a hell of a lot worse. :frowning:

Brent_H

Second Unit
explain about the politics...they probably wouldnt affect me much if i am living on campus and being joe college student? heheh

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Brent,

I'll send you a private message. I can't really explain in this thread without violating forum rules.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Brent,
george is upset because he thought his house was going to end up on the fairway of a PGA village. It's all very complicated and as you suggested won't affect your life at all. :)
I've lived near San Antone for over 30 years and spend most of my leisure time in Austin, so...I don't know much. But I have a good streak of Male Answer Syndrome and am willing to make up things.
San Antonio is the eighth largest city in the United States!
This figure may or may not pertain to the population in the city limits and/or the metropolitan area. I don't really know. It probably has nothing to do with the list that Oklahoma City is at the top of just because they have a humongous square milage.
Things you need to know:
Leave your parka at mom's house.
Don't wear your hat in the Alamo.
Check out "Bjorn's" for cool HT gear.
S.A. is a big Air Force town. There are 43 Air Force bases in Bexar County.
Bexar is pronounced, "Bare" or "Bear" or maybe "Bearer."
There is a Sea World a Six Flags and best of all a GREAT water park up I35 (Eye-35)in New Braunfels.
New Braunfels is easier to say if you add an "s" in the middle. "New BRAUNS-fuls."
I35 is also the way to get to Austin, a really cool town.
There's a good chance you'll die on I35 under an 18 wheeler.
Learn to enjoy Mexican food and I don't mean Taco Bell.
You're a Yankee. Sure the War Between the States ended 140 years ago today, but you're not from here, we are, and that's important...isn't it?
Gas costs less here. A lot of things cost less here. BTW...people get paid less here.
Enjoy yourself. You'll be in the best part of Texas and you probably won't drive on ice the whole 4 years.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Henry--

nicely done my man. haha yeah i don't plan on bringing any wintery clothes. i mean, it gets below 70 and you guys are all wearing pants and sweatshirts. booo. it gets above 50 in the spring here and people are wearing shorts and tshirts.

is Bjorn a forum member or is that a store? haha

Austin, yes, will for sure spend time there. i missed SXSW :frowning:

I thought it was the deep south like Georgia and SC and stuff that were all makin Yankee jokes.....not true huh? cool. all the winter texans come from here, so i might just fit in okay.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Deep in my heart lies a melody...

A very fine place to vist, though I´ve never lived there. Some of the best TexMex and Mexican food anywhere. Even though the River Walk draws tourists like honey does files, it can make for a very nice late afternoon and evening.

The Alamo is only the last (in proximity to the city) of a string of missions, some of which still have active congreations. It is worth going to mass to one or two, even if you are not Catholic. But don't take it off anywhere else. ;)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And if you happen to go to the Alamo, be sure to check if Pee-Wee's bicycle is in the basement there... and tell 'em, Large Marge sent ya! :D

Brent_H

Second Unit
hahah

whenever I think of the Alamo, for sure Pee-Wee comes to mind...

can everyone say adobe with me? ADOOBEEE.

ok, so how is the music scene there? I'm talking beyond the Mariachi bands and what not. I am into alternative/indie/rock, etc...so yeah.

Brent_H

Second Unit
awesome. thanks Henry.

oh and I might need some relief from not having a HT, so someone take me under their wing. :) haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks