Tell me about my Yam RX-V640

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael__M, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I am fresh to this forum and trying to build my HT. I've had the 640 for a few months and used it only for my casual stereo listening. I need some opinions. Should I keep this unit to power my HT and get a cheap stereo receiver to power my in wall Niles OR keep the Yam on the Niles and get a fresh HT unit. I am a fairly critical listener but haven't had a serious set up for some time. I tried to rig up the HT with the components I have but I am not satisfied with it one bit. I have a set of Infinity IL10's main, cheapy Infinity center (returnable), Velodyne DSL 3500 (probably to be taken back also) and old Bose AM5's on the rear. Advise me on the Yam and be prepared for more Q's on the speakers once this decision is made. I'm not afraid to spend a bit more than the $400 or so I spent on the 640 if the gains in performance will warrant it for the HT.

2. John S

John S Producer

Fairly Critical Listener???

No way you are going to be satisfied with a hodge podge of mediocre equipment, with some left over old stuff thrown into the mix, that is for sure.

If you don't like the sound of the Yamaha, significant sonic differences can be heard in H/K and Denon as well as others.

ecost has the H/K AVR-525 for around $469
    ecost also have some amazing Denon's right now, even cheaper.

Do you have a total budget your try'n to work with here?

Fairly Critical Listener tag you have given yourself, states to me, you will only be happy with a fairly higher end solution. In that reguard, go for a CHT-15 Velodyne Sub, a Denon 3803, and JBL s-series speakers all the way around as a starting point. Of course your approaching the $2k mark with these choices, but it is also $2k worth of performance.

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading about the good deal on the 3803 and I'm about to pull the trigger. Just hate to waste the Yamaha on only stereo downstairs. Damn this forum. Only a member two days and I can see the money flowing already.

4. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I have the Yamaha RX-V630 hooked up to Boston speakers. I love the set-up!