What's new

Tell me about my new laserdisc player… (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've been something of a movie nut for a few years now, but I never really got into the home theater scene until a few years about, when DVD was first introduced. Until today, I never owned a laserdisc player.

An acquaintance of mine had an old player he was getting rid of, and he generously offered it to me free of charge. In consideration of the price for which I acquired it, I don't feel as though I have any right to complain about the player's shortcomings, but I was hoping some knowledgeable HTF members might fill me in on the pros and cons of my new player.

The front panel says "Pioneer CD CDV LD Player CLD-95." Below that, "ELITE Reference CD CDV LD Player." Would I be correct in assuming that this means it plays CDs and Video-CDs in addition to laserdiscs? What can you tell me about this particular model? My buddy wasn't able to provide me with the manual so I don't really know a thing about it.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Assuming it's in good working order, it's one of the better players Pioneer sold in America. I still have mine. As you've probably noticed already, it doesn't have the RF out for Dolby Digital (that came with the successor model, the CLD-97), but it does have optical digital out for DTS and PCM tracks.

Most people, including me, have found that the composite output is superior to the S-video. That was true when the player was new, 10 years ago; so with the comb filters in today's TVs, I'd be surprised if your experience was any different.

It plays CDs, but not Video CDs. The feature set is pretty standard for late-model Pioneer LD players.

M.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Assuming it's in good working order, it's one of the better players Pioneer sold in America. I still have mine. As you've probably noticed already, it doesn't have the RF out for Dolby Digital (that came with the successor model, the CLD-97), but it does have optical digital out for DTS and PCM tracks.
Actually I believe that the CLD-97 did not have an AC-3 out, it had to be added. The MacIntosh version of the 97 had an AC-3 out though.

The CLD-95 can be a problematic model. If you got a late one, it's fantastic. if you got an early one, good luck.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
On the subject of LD players, why the heck has my DVL-909 been skipping about 1 minute into side 2 of LDs??? It did that a couple years ago and it spent 2 months in the shop getting it fixed, and just a couple weeks ago it started doing it again and it's in the shop again!! :angry:
My older CLD-D502 was getting stuck in between flipping to side 2, that turned out to be a belt in the front of the player that was stuck.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Actually I don't believe that the CLD-97 did not have an AC-3 out, it had to be added. The MacIntosh version of the 97 had an AC-3 out though.
(smacks forehead!) Yes, of course, that's right. I have the McIntosh, and I keep forgetting that the Pioneer equivalent lacked the RF out. In fact, the only Elite LD player that I ever saw with RF out was the CLD-99. (Added note: As Rachael points out, there were several lesser models released after the 99. I guess, between my 95 and the McIntosh, I just stopped paying attention. :) )

M.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Carl, odds are you have really lucked out. The 95's early problems involved software recognition. They changed something about the start codes of Laserdiscs in the early 90's. The 95 and several other Pioneer models couldn't play some discs because Pioneer goofed on the software. The affected players had to go to the shop for software upgrades. I think it's safe to assume that any 95 that has survived until now was good from the start or got the fix.

I used to have a 95 and I'll second Michael's assertion that the composite is the feed to use. The 95's S-video output is so average. If you feed it's composite into a 3-D comb filter, you should get darn good results.

Michael, Michael, Michael! The CLD's 59 & 79 came with AC-3 RF out, not to mention the DVL models. Some people did purchase CLD-97's new with AC-3 because some dealers who stille had 97's in stock when the 99 came out had the 97's retrofitted for AC-3. Best wishes! :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The CLD's 59 & 79 came with AC-3 RF out, not to mention the DVL models.
Obviously you're right, but I've never really considered those to be truly "Elite" players, despite the labeling. Everything after the 99 was a step backwards. (Some would argue that the 99 itself was a step backwards.)

This exchange reminds me just how long it's been since I paid really close attention to the varieties of LD hardware. It was just 6 years ago that I acquired my McIntosh, but so much has happened on the HT front since then . . .

M.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Everything after the 99 was a step backwards. (Some would argue that the 99 itself was a step backwards.)
Hey thems fightin' words, I like my 99 just fine thank you.

.....But I agree it was a step backwards in most ways. When I got my CLD-704 in 1995 I had the opportunity to purhcase a floor model 97 with AC-3 added by Danby Radio in Ardmore, VA (they did a lot of AC-3 mod work) for $1500. I now regret saving the $600, but at the time I didn't think I could afford it.

However, since I'm running a 6 year old Mitsubishi NTSC RPTV the comb filter in the 99 is a significant factor.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Well, it looks like I got a really great deal. After bringing it home and testing it out, it looks as though everything works great. Thanks again, everyone.

Now, I have just one more question about the player, if you don't mind. It's really a monster of a machine, compared to all of the other electronic equipment I have (mainly old video game systems but also a DVD player and VCR), and it just BARELY fits on my shelf. I didn't have to force it in, but there's not even enough room left to slide a dime in between the LD player and the side of the shelf. There is, however, a good couple of inches on the top, and the shelf has no back, so there's plenty of breathing room for those two surfaces.

All the vents on the system are, indeed, on the top and the back. Is it therefore safe to assume the player'll be okay where I have it? There's no reason to give it more room on the sides, is there?

Thanks again.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think you'll be OK. Those wooden panels don't allow much heat to escape at the sides, which is why the vents are on the top and back.

If you think the 95 is big, you should see the 97!

M.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I thought the 95 was the same size as the 97. The 97 is a true behemoth. Weighs like 60 lbs or something ridiculous like that.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Okay, I guess I'm good to go.

Let me throw in just one last question (I promise!) while I'm thinking about it…

I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the DVD format — the multiple audio tracks, 16:9 widescreen and such. Laserdisc, however, is a complete mystery to me.

I know that laserdiscs can somehow feature multiple audio tracks but also that it's not achieved in quite the same fashion as with DVD. Can anyone explain to me exactly how it works for LDs?

I have the player hooked up to my TV with your basic yellow/red/white cable. (I hate to reveal myself as a complete moron, but exactly what kind of connection is this?) Everything seems to work fine. There's a button on the remote that, according to the on-screen display, changes the audio from "analog" to "digital." On the couple of discs I've experimented with, I got what seemed to be the exact same audio either way — but I don't have any discs with commentary tracks or anything.

So I was just wondering exactly what the analog/digital business was and if I have everything hooked up okay. I'm actually just using my television's speakers so I'm not looking for 5.1 sound or anything, I'd just like a primer on the basics.

I read Rachael B's inroduction (linked to above) but I'm still a little confused about these particular matters. Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I thought the 95 was the same size as the 97.
No, it's the same size as the 99. In fact, I think they used the same chassis.

Carl, you've already found the key to multiple tracks on LD: the digital/analog button. Commentaries will always appear on the analog channel; there may even be two commentaries, one on the left analog and one on the right (there's a button labeled "audio" next to the d/a button on the remote that should allow you to select left, right or both). On many discs, though, the analog and digital tracks are identical, as you've already discovered.

The yellow connection with RCA plugs is a composite connection. S-video would require a completely separate connector. It sounds like you have the correct hook-up. If you want to play DTS discs, or use your receiver to decode the standard PCM digital tracks, you'll also need an optical digital cable.

M.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Hey what was the format where you had the cartridge that you had to slide into the player it pulled the disc out and kicked the cartridge back out and then you had to repeat the process to flip the disc? I remember em but I was a kid when these things were out does anybody remember what it was called.

C

Chris*Liberti

To hear the alternate tracks you will need to have the analog conections connected and you will look on the box to see which channel the alternate track (usually a commentary) is on usually analog left or right. Switch from the digital stereo track to whichover of these tracks you want to listen to.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Carl, LD started out with analog sound only. Digital (PCM) sound was added some years later. Your player has it's own D/A converters, so, you can output both the original analog sound (that was kept around for backwards compatibility and commentary or alternate languges) and the digital track processed by the player's D/A converters both out of the often called analog outputs. Is that what throws you? That both can come out the same output?

Guys the 95 & 97 both weigh 38 lb's. I'm not sure if the onces are exactly the same...? They both look the same to me, same faceplate and same style remote. It's the LD-S2 that's so heavy. The original LD-S2 weighed 67 lb's, by 1997, the last year they took orders for them, they had grown to 70 lb's. Best wishes cats!:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Guys the 95 & 97 both weigh 38 lb's.
The 95 weighs less than that -- 31 lbs., 5 oz. That figure comes from Pioneer's own documentation, which I happen to have here in front of me. I don't have documentation for the 97, but I do have it for the McIntosh 7020, which is essentially the same machine and weighs in at 36 lbs.

The 97 is also about 2" taller than the 95 and about 2.5" deeper (again, based on the published specs for the 7020).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks