Tell me about Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Dec 9, 2001.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

A friend of mine just moved to Houston. I live in Austin and will probably be visiting her this weekend or if not this weekend then definitely over New Years. Since neither of us have been there we don't know where anything is at. I'm looking for recommendations for restaurants, bars, clubs, movie theaters/malls...you know, all the fun stuff. She is getting an apartment this week (hopefully) and it probably will be on the west side of the city.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hi Mike,
    Dont know Houston, but i dread driving through there.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    at least she stayed in the great nation of TEXAS!! [​IMG]

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Just be sure you have plenty of oxygen. [​IMG]

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

6. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

A great friend of mine from Austin refers to Houston as ...

The Pit ...

Ever hear of an unsigned band in Austin called

Several Index Fingers

7. MikeAlletto

I'll know more about where she will be exactly as the week goes on. I'm looking for a few nice restaurants, mexican, italian, steak...and then a few just good places to go. By nice I'm meaning not suit and tie, kackis and dress shirt should be enough (remember I'm from Austin [​IMG] )
    Thanks all!

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Mike, Houston's just as casual a dining city as Austin. There's a handful of "dress up" places. Jeans/khaki's are fine everywhere else.

9. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Houston is the most disgusting city in America. It makes cities like Gary, Indiana: Flint, Michigan: and Newark, New Jersey look like Paris

10. MikeAlletto

11. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I have to step in to defend my old digs. I lived in Houston for almost 8 years and I loved it. There are a lot of restraunts, movies, and nightlife. Unfortuntely, I haven't lived there for several years so I can't really recommend anything in particular. I can see that if you were used to Austin, however, that Houston would seem like be a step down.

12. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

Houston? Most disgusting?! I've in lived in:
    Troy, New York
    Portland, Maine
    New London, Connecticut
    Oxford, Ohio
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    played tourist in:
    Alpharetta/Atlanta
    Boston
    NYC
    Cincinnati (it was about 30 minutes south of Oxford)
    Omaha
    Chicago (been there so many times I now find it boring)
    LA
    Phoenix (just outside of it but can't quite remember the name)
    San Francisco
    Washington DC
    Austin (visit once a month on business)
    Houston (a few months in a nasty townhouse just a few feet from city limits and near Spring)
    and now reside in no a mans land between Houston and Tomball.
    I can tell you wholeheartedly and confidently tell you that Houston is not the most disgusting city in America. [​IMG]

13. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure Beirut is worse than Gary Indiana ...

14. Alan K

Alan K Agent

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Houston has it's good points and bad points. In layout I think it's like a mini-LA, just like Chicago is a mini-NY.
    But at times Houston can look like Blade Runner. Lots of cement and metal, and for real depression go out I-10 on the east side past 8 over to the oil refineries. It's like life has been wiped out.
    Anyway, get ready for HORRIBLE traffic. Some of the worst. It's why I moved back to Indy. But Houston has kick ass theaters. However, during the Xmas season be prepared to get your tickets 1-2 hours early and be in line 1 hour before the film...seriously. Maybe more.
    The best big theater is Edwards on 59 inside 610 near Compaq Center. The other Edwards on I-10 has the IMAX though. The 290 Tinsletown just inside 8 is a good one as is the Tinsletown on 8 south of I-10.
    Keep your dollars ready if you use 8 to get around. Of course you can use the feeder roads for free but then you have stoplights.
    Houston's other big thing is EATING. LOTS of great food, Tex-Mex, Asian of all sorts, everything.
    I don't even know where to begin really. I guess a standard like Pappasitos (they and Pappadeux are everywhere). We preferred to go to Lil Pappasitos not far from CPQ Center (Kirby and West I think??).
    Westheimer toward town is good advice I guess. You get over toward Rice/Hermann Park area and there are several nice restaurants as well.
    Memorial Park has some nice mountain biking trails, sand v-ball pits, a HUGE jogging trail, etc. It's a pleasant place to go.
    Hermann Park is also a nice walk. Several good museums and the hotel from Rushmore that Bill moves into.
    Speaking of Rushmore, 2 sights by car. One is the place he was flying his kite near the end. It's a HS football stadium off of 290 just before 610. The street is Mangum (not Magnum as shown in the film).
    The other is the BARBER SHOP. It's on 11th St in the Heights, east of Heights Blvd (or whatever the main street in the heights is called). You will recognize the dry cleaners across the street.
    Night Life can run a bit ritzy and usually involves a car unless you want to stay in one place. Downtown is getting going (sounds like it's doing better than before). But some places are the $10 cover places (or more) that you want to be dressed up for.
    Houston also has a horse track on Beltway 8, northwest.
    Shopping in the Galleria area is fun as long as you keep the wallet in the pocket. It will be crazy at Xmas time, but you should drive through the area at night as they really decorate the street (Post Oak I think) with light-trees for quite a distance.
    Also, many downtown buildings put up lots of lights, including big light-pictures on the sides of building. Again worth a night drive for free.
    I was always told to spend a day going to the underground downtown. It's a huge underground city downtown because all the major buildings are connected by tunnels to avoid the heat. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. But it closes up after work hours so you need to go during a work day if free. I'm not sure how well-recovered from the floods this will be.
    Astro-world is always there (south side on 610) but not that great. Something to do I guess.
    Finally, if you aren't already used to it, get used to using interstates as roads since they are all lined by stores, theaters, etc. with feeder roads as access. You pass your destination, get off, hit the no-stop U-turn lane and come back the other side. It was always odd to me that places had interstates as addresses, but that's Houston.
    Oh, and be ready to use the dirt paths from highway to feeder road or vice-versa, if your vehicle can hack the bumps/curb. There are spots so used during bad traffic that they might as well be paved.
    Double oh. Get ready for LOTS OF BUMS, especially at intersections. Really sucks when you are in a convertible. [​IMG]

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I forgot to mention, several good Home Theater places. Of course there are the Home Theater stores, but while good for looking, not so good for buying.

There's AudioConcepts off of 59 and Shepard (IIRC). And the place I got my NHTs...uh, damn. They are on 59 west of 610 but I can't remember now. All these places have nice front projector demos and both high-end and reasonable product to demo.

You know who to ask about this stuff...Burke Strickland (the admin) or Walter Kittle. Just look them up here at HTF and instant message or email them. They will give you the lastest HT skinny.

I also should have mentioned that RICHMOND AVE in the Galleria area and WEST of it is good for eating too. I think the Houston Palm is out that way if you want to drop some cash on a kick-ass steak or lobster. Dave and Busters is the adult video game place and is pretty cool. Larger in size than your average place like that and including a normal restaurant.

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

18. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

A lot of NBA and NFL players get busted in Houston.

19. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

20. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

Two words to describe Houston: Strip Mall

Although I hate Houston's lack of character, there is lots of stuff in the city. One very good restaraunt is America's (inside the loop). It's South American cuisine and is really cool looking inside. One bar that I like is the Ginger Man. A pretty young crowd, very laid back, and a large selection of beer. Good luck.