What's new

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The thing that Costco beats B&N on is simplicity. You walk in, you grab your Blu-rays, you pay for them. No coupons, no jumping through hoops. If only they carried a better selection.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The thing that Costco beats B&N on is simplicity. You walk in, you grab your Blu-rays, you pay for them. No coupons, no jumping through hoops. If only they carried a better selection.

I agree.

The great thing about Costco is that I treat myself to a title every month I shop there. Sometimes two, if the selection is better than usual.

You are correct. Just pick 'em up for $20 apiece and go! I love buying things blindly.

Selection comes and goes. Last month there was absolutely no Criterion titles. Some months there is a small handful. When I first started shopping at Costco nearly two years ago, there was a huge selection.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Costco usually beats the B&N Criterion sale on $50 MSRP which Costco has been selling for $20. Depending on what coupons are available B&N may still beat Costco on these more expensive sets . So if B&N has a 30% off coupon at the time of a Criterion sale, it would be cheaper. However some B&N stores refuse to accept coupons on Criterions during the 50% off sales (5th Ave @ 46th St NYC I am talking about you)
I was not able to find Criterions at the closest B&N to me so I have to go to mail-order with it's own dilemmas. WHEN THE B&N COUPONS WORK then it can be cheaper through an B&N sale - especially for sets which are not usually sold at Costco ...

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Was at Costco yesterday no Criterion BRs, it has been a month since they had any. Hopefully they will have some in stock soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My local trek to Costco....

Wow! The video section got even smaller, if that's even possible.

There were three Criterion titles: Dr. Strangelove; The In-Laws; The New World.

Never saw The New World. Did some quick review reading with my iPhone while standing in the store. Looked like a winner, so I bought it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wow! The video section got even smaller, if that's even possible.

Hopefully they're just culling the slow sellers from the current stock before they bring in the holiday selection.

My Costco has definitely downsized the media section over the past couple of years, but it's still like a media paradise compared to my last trip to BJ's Wholesale Club. Next to nothing at BJ's these days, save for a handful of current releases (movies as well as books).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hopefully they're just culling the slow sellers from the current stock before they bring in the holiday selection.

My Costco has definitely downsized the media section over the past couple of years, but it's still like a media paradise compared to my last trip to BJ's Wholesale Club. Next to nothing at BJ's these days, save for a handful of current releases (movies as well as books).
Seeing as how they already holiday git sets of cookies etc. I think that's right. There's definitely more emphasis on DVDs than blurays in my store.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to the Blu-ray.com forums some new Criterion's are showing up at Costco:
Blood Simple
Boyhood
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Pan'sLabrinth

The item number is 1106289

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Mine has about one skimpy row of Blues. Getting smaller all the time, soon to disappear, I fear.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was at Costco yesterday.

Mostly Disney stuff.

There were at least 3 Criterion Titles: Punch Drunk Love; Dr. Strangelove (and something else I didn't recognize)

I was really shocked, however, when I saw two 3D titles on their shelf. The first was Captain America: Civil War for $24.99 (I think Amazon has it for $19.99), and the Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Deluxe Edition.

Also, surprisingly, there were at least a half-dozen 4K UHD titles available.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Our new Costco has a minimal selection of both DVD's and Blu Ray movies. Pricing isn't really all that special either.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sounds like basically the same selection I saw last week Ron, sans the Criterion titles. I also saw TFE 3D and the Marvel titles, but lumped them into my "Disney takeover" comment since, well, they're Disney properties. I wonder if we're seeing the end of Costco carrying any Criterion stuff at all? Probably. If so it was nice while it lasted and I was able to pick up some great CC releases there on the cheap.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There were at least 3 Criterion Titles: Punch Drunk Love; Dr. Strangelove (and something else I didn't recognize)

My Costco also had The Squid & the Whale and Seven Samurai. Also, the Guillermo Del Toro trilogy set for $49.99.

The 4K sets were all $24.99. I saw all five Bourne films and a couple others in 4K. They're selling the 4K TV's and players, so they kind of have to carry some of the media.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Someone on the Blu-ray forum claims to have found a copy of Criterion's BEING THERE. So, if true, it looks like a new batch of Criterions should be showing up.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here in Phoenix. Zero Criterions in stock, zero 4K UHD titles in stock, and 80% of the Blu-rays they do have are Disney titles.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I think the B&M stores see the writing on the wall. Soon I bet all you will find in the "entertainment/media" departments of most stores will be gift cards for streaming from all the major players and gift cards to download movies from major movie studios. Meaning you buy a Disney card to allow you to download a movie like Moana etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks