What's new

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
You can forget Costco as a reliable source of any particular disk. They are a price club -- they get in negotiated "batches" of disks, either consisting of new releases that are thought to be big sellers, or catalog titles that some distributor has negotiated a deal to move a lot of product.

Think of it as a fun adventure to just check and see if they've put any out. But never again think of a movie and go "I think I'll try to get that at Costco." It's just not that kind of of situation with movies and Costco.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is all there is at my local Costco. Pretty pathetic...

IMG_3140.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Damn! At least you have THE VIETNAM WAR for $59.95...

...and is that THE WAR that I see for $39.95? Holy shit. That's a great price. Want that, too!

I will have to go back to my Costco in another two weeks and hope this stuff is put into stock.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron, if you want me to grab anything for you let me know. Media Mail shipping from me to you would only be a few bucks. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

You know what? I really appreciate that. Very kind offer.

Let me see if I can buy this locally first. I will hit my store within the next two weeks. I am sure they won't sell out by xMas.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder how small this year's xmas/bf selection will be.

(Over the past 15+ years or so, I noticed the nearby Costcos typically expanded the dvd/bluray sections during November + December).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I expect practically nothing. Can't even remember if there was anything worth taking advantage of last year.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Costco had a big selection last year for holiday shopping, though there was nothing too exciting for me personally. Seems like it was largely stuff I already had, or lots of kiddie stuff in which I have no interest.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My Costco had a big selection last year for holiday shopping, though there was nothing too exciting for me personally. Seems like it was largely stuff I already had, or lots of kiddie stuff in which I have no interest.

Same here.

I'm pretty much at the "exhaustion" stage, where there isn't much exciting anymore for me at bf/xmas events and dump bins + sales in general.

Easier to just order from amazon, than driving around town in lousy traffic to check out sale events + dump bins. (ie. Wasting too much cash on gasoline, and buying very little to nothing on such cross-town excursions).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, that is a fairly pathetic selection of discs, but they have 4K for a couple of the titles. That kind of shocked me.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They've had them for a while now at my location. Doesn't make up for the overall lack of titles IMO though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I just got an email that Costco Visa card is no longer charging a 3% foreign transaction fee. Of course I don't know what their mark up is as far as what rate they use to convert other currency to dollars. With all the international info provided on the forum I thought this was good to know.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just got an email that Costco Visa card is no longer charging a 3% foreign transaction fee. Of course I don't know what their mark up is as far as what rate they use to convert other currency to dollars. With all the international info provided on the forum I thought this was good to know.
Good. I never understood why companies would want to penalize cardholders for choosing to use their cards when traveling or shopping online internationally? It's such a pointless fee, as the conversion is all done automatically by computer. It's not like staff are using calculators and slide rules to figure out the conversions. Discover and Capital One do not charge these fees either. I choose those cards when I travel.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Usually when Costco stops selling an item they mark it down to clearence prices. With the blu ray / dvds they just pulled them from stores. Too bad.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Usually when Costco stops selling an item they mark it down to clearence prices. With the blu ray / dvds they just pulled them from stores. Too bad.
I think DVD and Blu Rays are usually acquired on some sort of consignment basis so, if they don't sell, they can be returned to the supplier.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was in BJ's Wholesale Club yesterday, and they've also ditched movies for the most part. What used to be a two-sided aisle is now just one endcap with a handful of current releases and an odd jumble of catalog DVD's that is not unlike Walmart's dump bin selection. And their prices were non-competitive. The Walmart down the street had better prices on several of them (e.g. Batman: Gotham By Gaslight blu-ray was $19.99 at BJ's, $16.96 at Walmart; Coco blu-ray was $24.99 at BJ's, $22.96 at Walmart).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks