Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 21, 2015.

1. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I guess that's a possibility, but if the companies are going to eliminate physical product, why would they need to have anything at a B&M.
    If you buy a GC at BBY and have to go download/stream a short or long term rental, why wouldn't you just bypass BBY in the first place and do it directly or at worst via VUDU/UV/Apple websites.

OTOH -- paying more than couple dollars to have access their movie doesn't hold much interest in my life. Redbox prices for a 1-3 day access. I'm not sure more than 2-3 times redbox prices for long term access to something that isn't mine doesn't feel like something I'd be interested in

2. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

In addition to Being There, the following three are reportedly showing up:
    Mildred Pierce
    Mulholland Drive
    His Girl Friday
    (this is a $49.99 MSRP, so $19.99 at Costco is a better deal than any of the various Criterion sales)

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I was at my local Costco both Saturday and today. Nothing on Saturday, but I did find Being There, His Girl Friday, and Mulholland Drive as others have been reporting. I bought Being There, as I already have the other two.

Matt Hough likes this.
  4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    My thought is a lot of folks still don't want to use their credit cards online. In some cases to avoid "auto pay" that some places insist on activating etc.

I know first hand, I will pay cash for a Netflix and a Hulu card and just load them online and call it good.

I'm just thinking that SO many folks shop/browse at Target, Wal Mart, BB etc that having a display of movie downloads would be a good way to advertise upcoming movies etc. Just another supplemental way to get folks attention about what's available to rent.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

A thought I hadn't considered.

OTOH, I think if physical product goes away buying/owing/long term rentals (call it what you will) of movies may soon follow and everything will end up on streaming services and like so many of the 'cord-cutters' are doing right now end up paying more per month to their 10 streaming services and upgraded internet to support it than their corded brethren. Judging by what appears to be less than stellar early sell through of Digital only films the collector mentality may soon be a different animal.

Though I hope it doesn't happen, I wonder what would happen if the secondary market for Digital Codes out of Physical media went away. Would people buy more without the cheap codes available, would studios drop their prices, would the whole thing just become another niche product, or would it re-invent itself into a different form.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Stopped by Costco after work but none of the 4 Criterions were out (today was release day for Being There). Either this is a regional thing or my store hadn't out them out yet.

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I used to find Criterions at Costco, but maybe it was in the DC store. I was at the Beltsville MD store yesterday, and I found no Criterions.