Tell Me about Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Everett, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

There's a possibility that I will move to Charlotte. I wanted to get as many opinions on the city as possible. Specifically, what areas are good to live in? I don't need to live in a 'prestige' neighborhood, but I want to be somewhere nice with decent shopping and activities nearby, and not 40 miles out of the city. I'd be renting an apartment.

Many thanks for your help!

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I lived in Charlotte for a while a few years ago, and one thing that's a little unusual about the city is that practically no one lives anywhere near the downtown area (or "uptown" as the locals call it). The city center pretty much turns into a ghost town after 5:00 PM, with the exception of a VERY few bars and restaurants. Most of the nicer areas to live in are a good 20-30 minute drive from the city center. Some good areas include the area around UNC Charlotte and the Pineville area. I used to live in Matthews - another suburb that is worth looking into.

DEFINITELY avoid anything west of I-77. That side of town is pretty rough.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The really nice parts are up near Lake Norman; I guess it all depends on where you are going to work and whether you'll need to be in the office every day. If you're working downtown, you might even think about living south of the city to beat traffic.