What's new

Tell me about Cerwin-Vega subwoofers. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks , that helps , it has ltos of info , but i need some answers to my above questions soon , Cause I am wanting to bid on this woofer

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) this would probably be better viewed had you posted it in the speakers section. Basics is not really a spot for specific equipment "opinions of this item" type questions, you'll find the proper forums will get you more response.

2) If you are asking about a specific item, put the name in the POST TITLE. The basic area gets way ytoo many "I have $X, tell me how to spend it"- so people tend to overlook these kinds of threads... your subject seems right along the same lines.

3) I'd probably kill the ebay link and more generally ask if anyone has Cerwin subs in their home, and what they think of them. Maybe mention you're looking at the 200A specifically, and wonder if $xxx is a good price.

I would suggest posting in the SPEAKERS area, and putting the name Cerwin Vega CVT-200A in the subject of your post. Or better yet- ask a mod to move it for you, and change the title, ;)

-Vince

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
please help me asap ,
i am wanting to bid on this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3070246091

but look here

http://www.apexjr.com/CVT%20300S%20.htm

See where it shows the frequancy , what does this mean , the reason I ask , is cause I need to make sure it works with my reciever , i have a spot on my reciever, for the sub ,, that says anhything below 100 goes to sub, or anhything below 150 , or anything below 200,

I read somewhere that it needs to be turned off maybe,
mine cant ,

does this matter ,

will this sub work with my reciever with the x over feature ??

please help asap
cause im wanting to get this done

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks, it just scared me kinda about buying it when i saw that on the picture, what is that for on teh subwoofer itself , where it has the frequencys

reason I asked was cause of the 100, 150, and 200 thing ,

sorry i know im annoying , but I am really new to this , and am really into the whole theater thing now ive seen lord of the rings return of the king 5 times now lol

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
This sub will work with your receiver. Just set the crossover on your receiver to the lowest point that you listed (100 Hz) and then set the frequency button on the amp for the subwoofer to the highest setting (e.g. 150 Hz) and it should work well.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
That is fine.

There are two different crossovers (filters) at work here.

The receiver allows you to choose a 100/150/200hz setting for any speaker set to SMALL. This is a HIGHPASS filter. Literally allowing the *highs* (anything OVER the setting) to pass unfiltered to the main speakers. Anything UNDER the selected frequency is rerouted to the subwoofer output (on the back of your receiver) so the subwoofer can reproduce all the deep bass for the entire system. This is called "bass management" and there are many variations on the basic method which I just described.

The crossover on the subwoofer amp is a LOWPASS crossover. Again, literally allowing the LOWs to pass unfiltered to the bass driver in the subwoofer. Anything above the preselected point in this context is lost. So...generally speaking...you don't want to have the subwoofer's control set LOWER than the setting on the receiver. For example...

EDIT, boy...I shound't have rushed thru that so fast..:) (sorry for any confusion guys).

If you had the receiver set to 100hz, than all the bass under under 100hz is going to the subwoofer. BUT, it you have the subwoofer set to 60hz...then it will be filtering (gradually) any frequency OVER 60hz.(so the subwoofer driver is primarily reproducing the

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
thanks , but i just bought the speaker on ebay ,

i was gonig to get on one of the 150 rms subs by cerwin vega but someoen pointed otu to me that they had these on ebay , and they are bettter speaker,s including they are cheaper , so i took advantage of this

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes it will definitely work. You can be confident if you pick it up? You will be able to hook it up to your receiver. I would set your receiver cross to 100 hz also.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Kirtis, from my own experience, I can tell you that Cerwin Vega makes a very very good subwoofer. I've owned 3 and have never been let down by them. I am currently running all Cerwin Vega speakers in my Home Theater, and bass is never a problem, keeping things from rattling is. Good Luck. Johnny
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
For years the Circuit City near me has been using Cerwin Vega Subs to Demo stuff in the sound room. Trust me that 15 inch sub will absolutely rock. For the price I think it's a very good deal, especially they use to go for around 500.00

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Vince said, on all counts. Please ask for specific make/model advice in the appropriate hardware area. (Please note the new title to your thread.) The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
can you build a subwoofer yourself? I you can, I'd look into that. You could build a killer sub for $350.

Jason

John S

Senior HTF Member
It says somebody paid the buy it now price... I think you already missed out on it. Of course unless it was you??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks