What's new

Tell me about Cerwin-Vega subwoofers. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
these links below is what I'm lookign to ahve for a subwoofer for my system I've got now

Im wanting one of these subwoofers, can any of you tell me which I would problaby be happier with , or at least that You yourself would think would be the better quality bass sound
these are the 12 inch woofers

http://www.audioallies.com/GetBrandS...fers&Sub=12%22

and here are the 15 inch ones

http://www.audioallies.com/GetBrandS...fers&Sub=15%22

all that is a MUST , is thtat It will work with one cord , and thats a level line input , thats all i have to go to my sbuwoofer from my reciever , there is not speaker wire for my sub , just the line level input

JamesCB

Second Unit
Are you that limited in your selection? Cerwin-Vega, while having a few followers are not well known for having deep musical bass. I may get in trouble for saying that, but, in my experience, CV is loud, hard-hitting club style bass. So, if those are the only choices, I would wait and save my money for something better.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I agree with James,

though in answering your other questions, it says those are all self-powered, so you should have no problems hooking it up to the sub-out on any A/V receiver.

Most subs still have speaker-level connections, so that you run the wires to the sub, and then to the speakers, but most likely you will not be hooking it up like that.

The lack of speaker-level outputs on a receiver is normal, as you would have a self-powered subwoofer (like these), or an unpowered (passive) subwoofer, that you would power with a separate, outboard amp.

Anyway, if you do end up limiting yourself to those two, which I wouldn't recommend, a larger driver in a very similar sub (these being very similar CV I'm sure), will be able to go louder and deeper.

Your other thread on the 6 versus 12 inch subs covered these things pretty well. To recap: driver size definitely can determine the bass capabilities, but NOT all 12 inch or 15 inch drivers or subs are alike. There can be HUGE differences in capabilities of subs with the same driver size. Within these two options, both CV, then the 15in would probably go a tad louder and deeper. But there are MANY 12inch subs that I would take over one with bigger drivers, more power. There is MUCH more than just wattage and driver size that defines how a sub performs.

hope that helps! :emoji_thumbsup:

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks gusy

but Is this price TOO expensive for the sub Im talkign about , IM not wanting to spend any more money on a sub

I've already made my decisions to get one of these , im probably going to get the 15 inch.

Cerwin vega may be at the bottom of the line , but there are lots of peopl ethat love them , and I have read good reviews about them , plus I want loud , bass, bass that I can hear, imo , thats ahow it is in a theater , so why not in your home

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please use the Speakers/Subwoofers area to ask for specific recommendations. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model recommendations. Thanks. JB

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
someone can reccommnd me another sub that is 15 in. reason I want 15 , is cause the bigger the size the usually more bass, and if its too loud , I can turn the volumne of it down

I am wanting one of the two on this page

http://www.audioallies.com/GetBrandS...fers&Sub=15%22

my questions about them , are this

1. Does it have volumne control , (can you turn the bass up or down , like my current one I have now that I know does
2. if it will work with line level in

3. what is a polarity switch

4. whats phase control

I like Bass , I know someone people here dont like booming bass, , I like it cause thats what you here in a theater, . when you hear an explosion , in a theater, it rattles you , (or at least in my town) and thats waht I want mine to do

reason I was asking about the volumne control is becasue I didnt see it mentioned

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No - the bigger the woofer - usually equates to lower extension. However, I think when the Cerwin Vega attempts to reach those levels, it might distort quite a bit.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
my budget is around $300 , not over $350 , including to get it shipped to me

Why woudl the vega distorg when the woofers in my vega towers dont distort

John S

Senior HTF Member
At that price it is worth a shot for sure....
I have not auditioned it.

I would love to pit it against a Velodyne CHT-15 though sometime.

I would love to get yoru impressions of it though...

$200 cheaper than the Velo CHT-15....

It looks like solid product though.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
ive been looking for reviews on teh web, but cant find any, on its site it says that this woofer will shake you , on explosions ect. but they all say that lol, It looks solid and tis a 15 inch woofer, I mean its got to have bass, It may not be like a $700 one , but I dnot have that money lol

Ill chekc later for my posts, see you guys later

what about the volumne level control , does it have it ?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Both of those were powerful, but only from about 35hz and up. The older CVs...specifically the CVT series measured very good for Tom Nousaine though. I have seen the CVT12" model for $169 on ebay lately..supposedly brand new and being sold by some close out company.

Tom V.
SVS

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

On any modern day subwoofer with a built-in plate amp, a volume control - or properly termed a "gain control" will be present.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kirtis,
I remember when I used to think that only a 15" woof would do. I understand your logic lets say.

I remember comparing my dual 15" subs mentioned in a prior post in this thread up against a SVS 25-31CS+ that has a 12" driver. After doing so, it put that idea to rest. The one 12" did better than two 15"s, especially in the lower hz material.

Good luck with your Vega and the CVT12 Tom mentions might be just the ticket. Allot of boom! for the dollar.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
so steve nn , you do know for fact that they are good bass speakers say for the money , ? I know I have posted alot of topics and threads regarding cerwin vega , its just that for my price range that is the best that seems to come up , I am having people telling me that they are horrible speaakers and then I have people telling me That they are pretty good speakers. someone said earlier that they are good above teh 35 range . sow hat happens when it goes below that ?

another question si that on my reciever I have a thing that you can select frequency below 100 to go to subwoovfer, 150 , or 200 and below , but on teh site , with the two subs , and its stats, WOuld it still work

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
whoa , i looked at the sub that tom posted, on ebay , its $169 , and other than it being a smaller woofer , it appears to be a better powered sbuwoover, it has lower frequencey responses, and it has a 200 watt (rms) instead of a 150 rms , like the 15s that I am looking at

so what do you all think here is a link to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3275

i would like some feedback , im going to get this one or one of the 15's ,

also , can soemeon answer these ?'s for me

on teh site , it says this
Frequency Response
25 Hz - 120 kHz
but on my reciever I can make any frequencey below 200 go , does that mean that it is not going to work with my reciever ??

it also says this

Amplifier Features
RCA inputs, switchable 115/230 volt operation, phase switching, 3 dB A/V boost, auto on/off switching.

what does that mean , in lamens tersm, Im not smart yet on all teh terms, why would you need a switable volt operation

also , the subwoofer looks like the same subwoofer that I have on my cerwin 12 inch tower speaker, since this subwoofer is powered and is 200 watts , will this not pop , i mean the stuff on teh sides of the speaker are soft, Unlike some subwoovfer I ahve seen that are made of a hard rubbery material?

i think this is the one i want for my money, it says on the site it has a list price of $549

Im wanting a big thud when I hear a crashy k hopefully I can get it out of this

tell me what you guys think

i love this forum

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
I am wanting to bid on it , but I want to make sure that it will work with the line level in cord I have

can you guys confirm if it will or not

on my reciever it says pre out on the subwoofer hole , and on the subwoofer , where it connects says line level in

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks