What's new

Television Shows are Great on DVD ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Dave your Job has alot to do with DVD's. It allows you to buy them I guess I'm being harsh on Columbia Tristar. I guess We'll have to wait and see until someone can ask them for a definitive answer.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, no info about any of those releases came from VSDA. There were Columbia TriStar people at the show, but they were locked away in an appointment-only suite...and I didn't have an appointment.

Gord

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Shoot. I'll call them next week. Probably Tuesday...Mondays tend to be swamped for me at my paying job! :p)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's beginning to look like alot of these shows will see a season 1 set and then no further releases. I highly doubt you'll see Sanford & Son Season 2 or the Jefferson's.
This is not fair! Their P&S atrocities are bad enough, now they throw us a bone and cut off all the meat with TV shows?

I will be writing them a letter.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Also, they did very little promotion for the disc sets of the respective 1st seasons of AitF, Larry Sanders, Sanford & Son, or The Jeffersons.

But my friend Todd Fuller, webmaster of sitcomsonline.com said that DVD sales of the AitF set through his site's link to Amazon were about the same as M*A*S*H: Season 1 from his link. This isn't representative of total sales, however. I'm trying to encourage people to buy it.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay, this is a bitchy little rant here...

Why is everyone shitting all over Columbia TriStar in regards to their "All in the Family" releases? Season One came out on March 26, just 4 months ago. Let's see...HBO usually has a year between their TV releases, Fox usually has 6 months. Fox released season one of The Simpsons on September 25, 2001 and now they're releasing season two on August 6th. Guess what...that's over 10 months. Columbia TriStar usually annnounced products roughly 2 months before street date, not 6 months or a year. There's a chance we could see more releases before the end of the year.

It's one thing to bitch when there's a legitimate concern, but when a company is just getting into TV products and haven't determined their release schedule, I don't think they should have people shit all over them.

Do parents start yelling at their kid "Why don't you walk, dammit" just after they learn to crawl?

Gord
P.S. yes, I'm tired, jetlagged and a little bitchy.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I think some of the studios are still feeling things out as far as TV on DVD goes. Remember before DVD there were very few TV home video releases besides Trek. Most of what was released was done by Columbia House because the studios didn't want to do it themselves. I know a few more shows saw LD releases, but that was a niche market and doesn't compare to what DVD has become. I think some studio execs are still in shock over how well some of these old shows will sell. They are slowly finding out how different DVD is and how well there shows sell so give them a little more time. It took MGM what?, 18 months to get out the second season of SG1.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
It took MGM what?, 18 months to get out the second season of SG1.
Well maybe only in US since this country is behind in almost every sense.
MGM has released up to and including almost all of season 5 of SG1, with seasons 3, 4, and 5 having a commentary for EVERY episode!
Europe and Japan are better for TV on DVD.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Europe and Japan are better for TV on DVD.
If I were only buying R2, I would be glad about this. I think Europe is just testing waters for the studios. They know it'll sell well, because we have a very fragmented broadcasting system over here.There's lots of countries where a show won't run at all, just because the main station of that country won't buy it.

But... we do get lousier sets. Look at the European Sopranos sets. Realy ugly compared to the R1 boxes. Our second season of Buffy wasn't guarded agains grains of sand (a VERY tight cardboard sleeve with no protection at all). You've all read about the Family Guy release. And take a look at the hideous quality of Northern Exposure. Plus, there's the pal-speedup. Ok, we might get it first, but there's enough problems with that.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have a few things to add, but I think Gord's "bitchy little rant" almost covers my response to this:The response here is something I see typically all over: something is believe just because it is read on the internet. Well, if it's on the internet it MUST be true, right? :rolleyes
Dave Scarpa's post was taken as a fact, not the opinion it was. Go back and reread his post in it's entirety, then my follow-up, then his reply to me. Dave Scarpa concludes his follow-up by stating "I guess I'm being harsh on Columbia Tristar. I guess We'll have to wait and see until someone can ask them for a definitive answer."
Dave Scarpa understood from the start that this was just his opinion, and didn't hide the fact. But it was *taken* as a fact, and Columbia's ass was jumped...needlessly.
I don't mean to single out or embarrass anyone here, and I apologize that I must do so to make my point.
I have, of course, just made it my personal mission in life to get to the bottom of the question, "What's going on with AitF season 2?" Y'all allow me to celebrate my wedding anniversary this weekend, and then I'll jump right on it.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Having TV shows on DVD is excellent. I am now addited to TV shows on DVD. I heard about TV shows being released in season-by-season format but I did not buy any until August 2002. I now own Simpsons season 1 & season 2, All In The Family season 1, M*A*S*H Season 1 & season 2 & Clerks: The Animated Series Uncensored.

I love TV shows on DVD since I can watch the shows whenever I feel like watching them.

Jimmy Wong

Grip
Any interest in Newhart?

Finally ... someone with good taste. One of my most requested shows for DVD.

Others include Seinfeld, Greatest American Hero, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Riptide and Paper Chase.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I also got addicted to tv on dvd... been collecting since X-files season 1 came out.... here is my modest list:
All in the Family: season 1
Best of Andy Griffith show {I definately perfer box sets!}
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: season 1 & season 2
Friends Season 1
Mash season 1 & season 2
Sex and the city season 1 & season 2
Simpsons Season 1 & season 2
Smallville pilot
Star Trek:TNG season 1 and 2
Star Trek TOS vol. 1-10 {couldn't seem to care enough to follow through with the rest!}
Stargate SG-1
X-Files seasons 1 - 5
I know I am behind on some of the releases but I am sure I will catch up eventually. ;)
And I am really excited about the news that Sliders and Quantum Leap is in the works! :D

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
While I like TV on DVD, there's just too big a flood of it coming out. I haven't finished Season 2 of the X-Files yet, for heaven's sakes. So I've pretty much stopped buying it. The irritating spinning heads menu on the Simpsons Season 2 has pretty much guaranteed I won't be back for more of that one either. :angry:

Bill_Moore

Grip
I've noticed the TV shows in my collection are starting to crowd out the movies a bit. I'm very addicted to TV on DVD. I have so many that I want...it starts getting expensive. I'm collecting:
Farscape
Trek: TOS
Trek: TNG
Space: 1999
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Babylon 5 (upcoming)
South Park (upcoming)
The Simpsons (I barely watch season one....haven't pulled the trigger on season 2....not sure if I'll end up collecting all these or not)
Next year, we'll see DS9, Battlestar Galactica...the wallet's already screaming for mercy.
Then, I've also considered UFO, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet....I loved all those many years ago, but can't stop wondering if I'll later wonder why I own a show with puppets ;) UFO was great, but maybe my memory is just lousy. I don't know. So much collecting to do.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Well since everyone is having wish lists of their favourite
TV shows put on DVD here is mine. Hope they put on DVD the
Green Hornet series. Never missed an episode. The late
Bruce Lee & Van Williams made a great team with support
from Wende Wagner what an awesome series !:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Click here for info about this release. Amazon seems to have copies available for order (link is included). Otherwise, try Circuit City. I always seem to see copies of this in their Action section whenever I'm in either Memphis location.
Worth a shot. There's always Half.com or eBay. It'll do until season sets come along, IF they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks