What's new

Television reinvented: rgb +cmyk!!!!! (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
back in the day, when men were men, and monitors were 72 dpi, Adobe imposed a 6.5K whitepoint, 1.8 gamma color scheme because that resulted in the best match between the Apple 13 inch RGB monitor and the Apple Laserwriter. All part of the WYSIWYG paradigm.

source

PhillJones

Second Unit
This is a very interesting topic, for me right now as I recently sent a manuscript to a journal that required me to convert my images from RGB to CMYK and color correct them myself.

When I did this to my pseudo-color images bad things happened, my greens went all muddy and m. It seemed odd to me as I'd have thought that you'd need to be a professional to deal with color correcting but those were the rules.

So how do people who do this sort of thing cope with the fact that colors like pure green and blue just turn to muddy gray horribleness but the cyans look bright and vibrant?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the material. A lot of times, people use Pantone colors to create colors that just aren't possible in CMYK.

What did you use to convert the RGB to CMYK? Some apps don't do as great a job as others. Also, you should make sure your monitor is set to view CMYK images properly.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The point of this system is that not only will the reds, blues, and greens be "pure", but so will the yellows, cyans and magentas.

And, yes, there are colors which cannot be reproduced using a RGB monitor.

PhillJones

Second Unit
ooops

I just tried to run the Adobe gamma correction wizard. That was a huge mistake. Now everything looks bleached out. Like I'm looking at it through that filter they use when they're filming in the deseart in movies to make it look all sun baked.

The odd thing is that I can't put it back the way it was. It looks awful no matter what I do.

morale of the story is not to run the adobe gamma corrector.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did you run the gama properly? You could run through it again and go through the advanced settings. Also remember to set your contrast and brightness to the levels they recommend.

PhillJones

Second Unit

Yep, I ran it properly, and then I ran it again to try and undo what I had done. I can't find any settings that fix the bleached out look that it has, even in the advanced settings.

I've found some postings on newsgroups that say that it doesn't work well on lcd displays, that it causes exactly this problem, but nothing on how to reverse the damage.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I ran it on both of my LCD's and they turned out fine. Have you tried to see if there is a default profile for your monitor? Maybe you can download one from the manuf. web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks