Television Placement Question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BertFalasco, Nov 19, 2001.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Hi, I have a 27" TV and I'm getting a new one due to lack of inputs I want/need.
    I have a wall unit, the kind that has a rack on the left built in and the rest of the space on the right for the tv (making the tv not centered between the fronts.. :a )
    I was wondering, should I get maybe a 32-36" TV and put it ON TOP of the wall unit, and have it a real home theater feel and have my uncle build some nice shelves to take the place of the big empty space where the first TV was?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Bert [​IMG]

2. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

Looks like there are at least two reasons to go for the bigger screen:
    • you'll have a bigger screen (everything else being equal, I think it's always better to have a bigger screen),
    • and you'll have the screen better centered.
    Unless there is any down side to getting the bigger TV that you haven't told as (such as "it will be too high off the floor", or budgetary issues), I don't see why you shouldn't go for the bigger one... [​IMG]

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

My unit is 42" tall, so at 42 inches off the ground, the big tv will just be at it's bottom part. If I choose a bigger tv, I'll be working my neck muscles.
    -Bert [​IMG]

4. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

Hmmm... If I had to choose the lesser of two evils, I think I would still choose the "higher big screen" over the "smaller offset screen". At least, the higher big screen comes with the additional perk of the bigger image size (even if it is at the expense of a lighter wallet...).

Besides, the bigger screen will allow you to sit further from the TV, which will mitigate the "pain-in-the-neck" viewing angle a little bit. (Simple trigonometry...) But the keyword here is "a little bit".