Television Has Waves During Loud Volumes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Cybulska, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Andrew Cybulska

Another problem I have during watching films at loud volumes.
    For example, during scenes like the Redemption scene in O Brother, Where Art Thou? where the people were singing that song, the picture will get distorted and will have this wavey, ripple like effect. I checked all the connections in the back and everything seems fine. My TV is just a simple 27 inch screen being hooked up with S-Video directly to the DVD Player. Heeellllp!!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. Wake up!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
    So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... Are you ready to go?

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I noticed the same thing once I got a more powerful receiver. It is probably magnetic interference from the centre channel atop the TV, though being "magnetically shielded," there shouldn't be a problem.

3. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Me Too,
    I had the same problem turned out my left and right speaks were to close to the TV. I would try moving your speakers away as far as posible for a test and see if it goes away if not it could be your sucking all juice out of your outlet, at high volumes but i doubt it.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

This type of distortion is not always due to magnetic interference. If the Center Speaker is on top of the TV, there can be a vibration problem that can also affect the picture.
    I had the same problem, and found that by holding the speaker up in the air above my 32" set, the problem was gone. Of course, that led me to think it was magnetic interference. FWIW, I first noticed playing the trailer for Disney's Dinosaur on the Tarzan DVD (at close to reference volume, I might add).
    I spoke to Klipsch customer support (the manufacturer of my Center Speaker), to see if they knew of this problem and/or a solution, and their tech suggested that this was not usually magnetic (the speaker in question does have bucking magnets on the drivers) but vibration. They said the had seen this before.
    Their suggestion was to try placing a set of small adhesive rubber feet on the bottom of the speaker. I bought a variety of types from my local Sears Hardware store, and settled on some 1/2" square brown feet. Nothing exotic at all. In my case it worked.
    I can't say if this will work for you, but I was glad to see that it worked for me on my Sony 32" set. And you can't beat the price.
    Good Luck,
    Brian

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

This problem (vibration with loud audio) is most common with Sony Trinitron sets. My computer monitor does the same thing.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

6. Andrew Cybulska

I tried moving the center speaker about 3 feet higher than the TV but still has the problem [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. Wake up!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
    So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... Are you ready to go?

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That definitely confirms that you're not seeing a magnetic interference problem, but a vibration problem. I have not figured out a solution for my computer monitor vibration problem. [​IMG] Try adjusting the location of your mains and sub perhaps?
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

8. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Sorry, duplicate post.
    [Edited last by Randy G on September 19, 2001 at 06:06 PM]

9. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Sorry, duplicate post.
    [Edited last by Randy G on September 19, 2001 at 06:05 PM]

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I know this sounds ludicrous, but if the bass is loud enough and close enough to your body, it could be your head vibrating(and thus your eyeballs) that is causing the waviness. As an experiment, try humming as low and as loudly as you can while watching a tv. Now play around with the frequency, and you'll probably see the same effect at some point.
    ps-It is now time to laugh and flame.

11. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Try placing some spikes (or 3 JUMBO CONES) beneath your TV or TV stand and see if that minimizes vibrations.
    Elbert

12. Steven Lin

Steven Lin Extra

Is that passage particularly loud or demanding? It's possible that the AC voltage to your TV is dipping during that time. Or it may be that the scene is extremely bright and the TV's power supply isn't up to snuff and can't adequately drive the display.
    Do you have a multimeter with which to check the AC circuit feeding your TV?
    If you have the Avia or Video Essentials discs, I would recommend checking your display with them.

13. Andrew Cybulska

It's really loud or demanding, like a whole bunch of explosions or gunshots would be, but it has pretty heavy bass. I was planning to pick up the newst version of Video Essentials so I'l' definately check that out.
    ------------------

14. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, while you haven't said what tv you do have, this does indeed sound like the problem so many people have with trinitron tubes. I gotta go with Philip, it's all a matter of stopping the vibrations from entering the tv. I have one, and yes the waves are very noticable with loud and aggressive scenes.
    I know some of ya'll are reading this on trinitron computer monitors, give it a thwak on the side and I'll bet you see what Andrew's seeing.
    Greg
    [Edited last by Greg Robertson on September 20, 2001 at 10:10 AM]

15. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

After Reading all the posts up to this point, I think it may be due to power supply. My computer and microwave is hooked up to the same surge protector (a cheap one), and whenever I run the microwave, the entire picture shakes and wobbles as if something is sucking the life out of the CRT. Perhaps you can plug your TV into another outlet...no harm done.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com