What's new

Television for less than $350 (1 Viewer)

Barry II

Grip
I'm looking to get a new television for less than $350. I definitely want component video(S-Video seems to come with it but not necessary). 20-inch minimum. Sound is not an issue because I'll use my receiver. What suggestions to you guys have? Of course I'm looking for a clear picture. I did some research and the Toshiba #20AF43 seems nice, but a larger screen I would prefer. All suggestions appreciated.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to locate any number of 27-inch NTSC-only sets in that price range, complete with component-video inputs. I have a Panasonic CT-27D12D still sitting in its carton underneath my kitchen table, which I received for free. I believe Circuit City sells the thing for $299.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Do not buy a TV with fewer than three input banks in back and three video input choices on the remote, where composite can go into one input, S-video into a second input, and component input into the third.

(If you don't need component, do not buy a set with just one composite jack, one S-video jack, and one video input selection on the remote. This TV can accept only one video source and you must crawl around back and unplug it before plugging in another.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Barry II

Grip
How much better, picture-wise, is a flat-tube television? I like the prices and features I'm finding on 27-inch TVs but none of them have flat-tubes. Another aspect that seems to stand out is the varying lines of resolution between TVs. How much of a difference can that make? Is 600 a minimum or pretty good?

I like these two models:
JVC AV27D104
Phillips 27PS55S

--Barry II

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't pay any attention to a manufacturer's claims regarding lines of resolution. As for flat screens, I prefer their ability to present material without any of the bowing on straight lines associated with curved screens. But flat screens do not produce an inherently "better" picture than the curved ones, though. But since they're sexier, they are easier to market.

Barry II

Grip
So are you saying I should disregard whether a TV has a flat-tube and just go for a TV that has the features I want and get it. I'd like to know if any people on the forum have these particular model TVs and what they think of them:

Panasonic 27D12D
JVC AV27D104
Phillips 27PS55S

--Barry II

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks