television distorted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHeath, Jan 22, 2003.

1. MikeHeath

MikeHeath Extra

Hi all,

I have a prblem with my television. I have done some research and understand what happens when speakers are too close to a television set. Unfortunatley this has happened to myself. I was told that the speakers too close would cause some discoloration and degausing would solve the problem. But in my case there is no discoloration but the top left hand side the image slants. It is most noticable when watching widescreen dvd because the top of the image in the left slants down a bit. Or if there is graphics, lines etc you can see the slant. Is this also cause from speakers or is it something else? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any information

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmm what Kind of Tv do you have Mike?

My first guess is that no its not the speakers, they cause magnetic interference, and for that to result in geometry problems but no discolouration? i doubt that, btu I could be wrong.

My best guess is that you have some geometry issues with yuor tv that could be fixed through the service menu. also check to see if your particular speakers are magnetically shielded if they are then that definitely is not the problem.

Good Luck

3. MikeHeath

MikeHeath Extra

it is a jvc d series 32" television. Thanks for you reply but I am not quite sure what you mean ny service menu. Forgive me but do you mean the regular menu? And the speakers are not shielded.

Thanks

Mike

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The service menu is a Menu that is supposed ot be accessed by a service technician, there are more parameters in there to adjust than in a regular manu, in particular geometry settigns. going into the service menu though does technically void your warranty.... so if it is under warranty id try to get a tech to look at it, that keeps your warranty in tact, and you can watch as they fix it so next time you will knwo what to do yourself.

5. MikeHeath

MikeHeath Extra

thanks for the info John!

just in case is there anybody that knows how to access this menu?

Thanks

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Try posting that in a separate Thread, someone should ahve the info.

But do a search on working in the service menu, it is not to be entered lightly, that beign said if you are careful it can be well worth it.

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Mike,

John is absolutely correct in his warnings...ALWAYS MAKE A RECORD of the factory settings in each sub menu. On the JVC 'D' series there are about ten different sub menus---many with numerous value settings. Geometry is found in the second sub-menu.

1)Press Sleep Timer---0 minutes should appear (and while visible onscreen)
    2)SIMULTANEOUSLY press Display and Video Status---you're in.

Some of the settings do not apply to all 'D' series TV's. I have been giving the 27D303 a generous in-home trial (on my 2nd one courtesy of CC) but I find there is a green cast to even the best picture mode which simply will not go away no matter how much tweaking is done. Also the geometry problems of the 'D's are only partially correctable. Letterbox bars or even ticker bars like CNN are curved for good. Aside from these issues I consider the 'D's a great value in any size. Good Luck.

8. MikeHeath

MikeHeath Extra

thank you for all your help everyone, great forum!

9. Brendan M.

Brendan M. Extra

I hate to tell you, but you aren't going to find any adjustments in the service or user menu that will allow you to correct this problem. I've already been down this road.

I purchased a JVC 32" flatscreen (AV-F3702) a few months ago and it had this exact same 'tilt' problem. It is not fixable through any of the menu options (service or otherwise). I searched for weeks to find a solution and could not. I finally had a service tech out and he said that flat screen tv's are known for having geometry problems and it can't be corrected. I exchanged the set for another of the same kind and luckily got one on which the tilt problem was much less noticable. My suggestion is to try exchanging for one without the issue, or returning it for another model that allows for tilt correction in the service menus.

10. MikeHeath

MikeHeath Extra

Thanks for the info, I did try and play with the service menu and yes it did not help my problems. There is some geometry settings but not the right ones. I don't know if I can bring back my television because it is over a year old. I just noticed the problem now, and I am not sure if it was there before ( i know crazy huh). Well I guess I will have to look into it. Thanks again everyone