Television and audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matt bee, Jun 4, 2002.

1. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

As I mentioned in another thread, I just received my new HT setup yesterday. (Acoustic Research HC2, Marantz SR7200) I'm curious about listening to regular television and what mode is best for it. I have DirecTV. I've noticed that a few movies, mostly on HBO I think, are broadcast in Dolby Digital. Most everything else my receiver reads only the front speakers. Are there just not many programs broadcast in surround sound? (I haven't watched any network television yet) I noticed that when in Prologic II and Circlesound 5.1 that the rear channels are used, even though the receiver only shows the fronts being used. How does that work, exactly?

Is one mode better for these types of broadcasts than others?

Thanks,
    ~Matt
    (I watched a bit of Castaway this morning on HBO, and was surprised that it was only coming in 2 channels. Oh, and my Sat receiver is connected through an optical cable if that matters.)

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Matt,

Only select programming is broadcast in Dolby Digital-- usually (as you found) just a handful of films on premium movie channels. Right now, to my knowledge, network TV is not supplying a 5.1 feed to Dish broadcasters... although some shows that broadcast in HiDef have a 5.1 feed available.

As far as best 2 channel processing- this is probably up to your personal pref. Many shows are created with Dolby Pro Logic decoding in mind- but DPL processing is very similar to DPL2 and Circlesound-- meaning that all 3 processes will be able to respond to surround encoded programming and offer some sort of multichannel effect. It's just a matter of which one you like best.

You mentioned getting surround when only 2 channels are lit-- and that is the point of DPL, DPL2 and similar DSPs. These are "special effect" programs that are able to create a "surround sound" effect from a 2 channel input. So, when you see that an input is only 2 channel, you can try to apply one of the processing modes to see if it can expand your listening. These processes will work best with programs created for surround (will usually say "surround" or "dolby surround" at the opening)--- but you can try applying to any 2 channel signal and see what you think.

-Vince