What's new

Teletubbies - I don't get it (1 Viewer)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
My daughter loves the Teletubbies... or did, she's been outgrowing it (she's almost 4). She still has a Teletubbies computer game which she play occationally. Now, the favourite is Bob The Builder. That's fine with me, since the theme song for Bob is actually good, compared to tubbies...

We had a contest at work, where we would name our four departments. I suggested Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Lala and Poo.

It didn't win... :frowning:

--Anders

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
And you are *way* wide of the mark with the 'jabbering' criticisms; the use of babbling was very carefully thought out.
Could someone explain this then...I just can't see the advantage of meaningless jabber over actual words. What's the idea/theory behind the use of the jabbering?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I...can't see the advantage of meaningless jabber..
Until the early childhood developement experts post...my understanding is the "jabber" is how we learn to make the sounds of our language and generally interact.

Jim (dim, dimmy) ;)

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Aaron

To the babies, I think it sounds like actual words to them. Not sure though.

I like flipping to a kids show every so often. I caught the tele-tubies once. Weird show. The sun-baby was scary. Saw Bob the Builder, which wasn't that bad. I think it's the construction industries way to get more people in the business.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Man times sure have changed.

When I was a kid I used to watch:

Sesame Street, Mr. Dressup, The Friendly Giant, Spiderman, World at War, Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War, David Suzuki's Nature (made me fall asleep most of the time though, go figure), Rocket Robin Hood, the Flintstones, and Scooby Doo.

Of course I wasn't a toddler when I watched those documentaries, they weren't produced until I was around 10 or so.

I can't believe I watched Scooby Doo and Rocket Robin Hood...those shows warped my mind. I've never looked at primary colors and bland backgrounds the same ever since. I did find the Flinstones soothing though. Mmmmm...Betty.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
My son used to love Teletubbies. Thankfully, we've moved on. We're currently addicted to Bob the Builder. I have to say it's much better. I have to say that I'm wondering about the "relationship" between Bob and Wendy. Anyone else notice anything??

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Steve, Bob and Wendy are simply good friends. You have a lurid mind.

Next thing you'll be speculating on what Dr Who got up to in the Tardis with his assistants.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This whole Teletubby thing strikes me as weird until I think really hard about what I used to see on Captain Kangaroo..... :D Whoa!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks