What's new

Teletubbies - I don't get it (1 Viewer)

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Like most of you who have toddlers or young kids, my wife and I try to limit the amount of TV our kids (ages 27 months, and twins that are 18 months) watch and we screen whatever they are allowed to watch. The other day, I turned the TV on and flipped past the Teletubbies on PBS. My oldest saw it and indicated an interest in watching it, so I said okay and we watched it together.

The show is a combination of live-action video (real-life kids cooking or making crafts, playing, etc.) and the tubbies. I have to admit that I didn't get it or see the "educational benefit" from the show. My son seemed interested in it and it held his attention, but the editing seemed strange to me. For example, halfway through, a 3 or 4 minute live-action piece was intentionally played twice, back-to-back. And there seemed to be an inordinate amount of time spent focusing on the tubbies jumping around or just looking at each other.

Admittedly, I have only seen this show once, but can someone tell me why this show is so popular?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, you don't get it because you're not two. It's specifically designed to be entertaining to toddlers, with a lot of bright colors, repetitive reinforcement, and very little dialogue. Small children's brains are apparently much more visual (and less linguistic) than those of adults, and the repetition is also geard toward toddlers - at that stage of development, showing them the same thing several times in a row is supposedly more effective than showing multiple things in a row (too confusing) or the same thing spaced out over a period of time.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
They are pure evil, EVIIILLLL! I have setup my TVs to black out all Teletubbies and Barney shows. I much rather have my daughter watch Blues Clues, Sesame Street, Wiggles, Mr Dressup or Bob the builder. MUCH better shows IMO.

Dean

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Going through the whole toddler TV thing for the second time around I've reached a few conclusions about the state of kiddie TV. Teletubbies are like crack for the pre-3 set and I don't really mind their mindless jabbering. Barney is evil and disliked by most. Sesame Street is a non-stop barrage of noise and chaos that neither I nor the kids can stand for very long. The Wiggles flat out scare me as a quartet of men sporting serious five o-clock shadow and cavorting around sounds more like a Simpsons episode gone horribly wrong. The only kiddie TV that I'll actually admit to liking is Arthur.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I'm amazed that your wife gave birth to your first and then had twins just 9 months later!!!!! :eek:

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I watch the Tubbies and it feels like I'm halucinating when they roll those clips back-to-back.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob the builder rules.

Nothing like a few episodes of Blues Clues to get me thinking in the morning, either.:D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
My kid always enjoyed "Pulp Fiction" as a toddler ;)

But I must admit, I am lost with the intrinsic value of the tubs. I honestly think kids should hear adults properly articulating words, even at the youngest age. Read to your kids, rather than watch dem tubs.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
With the greatest respect to you guys - have you been on a different planet the last few years? Tellytubbies have been around for ages! Heck, it's even been referenced on The Simpsons.

The programme is originally British (different countries insert their own 'real life' clips into the centre of the show). I think it's safe to say that Brit parents and child care experts generally love it.

Comparing it with Sesame Street et al is missing the point - they are intended for older kids. And you are *way* wide of the mark with the 'jabbering' criticisms; the use of babbling was very carefully thought out. Young kids can identify with the characters far better than characters with an adult-level vocabulary. I hate to break it to you folks, but it's *your* job to teach your kids to speak, not the TV's.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
I'm amazed that your wife gave birth to your first and then had twins just 9 months later!!!!!
Deward, yes, that would have been an amazing feat. But that isn't quite the case. We adopted our first son and the twins showed up 9 months later. My wife likes to put it this way: When she turned 30, we had no kids. When she turned 31, we had 3.

It's kind of neat having all three that close together. Paying for college should be an interesting experience!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Teletubbies - I don't get it "

If you're watching Tele-tubbies I understand why:)

Brent

Eve T

Supporting Actor
The first time I saw the teletubbies I got a sick feeling in my stomache. It may just be me but I think that show is evil and is probablly sending wicked and evil subliminal messages to children.
Then again I'm not all there....
:D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
But Sesame Street is aimed at four and five year olds, PreKinder and Kindergarten age kids ...I think it is cool that the babies have a show aimed at them.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The most shocking thing about the Teletubbies is that the purple one is gay! (not that there's anything wrong with it) ;)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
My kid always enjoyed "Pulp Fiction" as a toddler
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
My 15 month old son must be the odd duck. He shows little to no interest in TV. We Tivo Spongebob ("Spongebob is NOT a contraceptive"), Elmo and other children's shows. He will watch and dance to the beginning of Spongebob and watch a few minutes of Elmo but that is it. He would much rather play or have us read to him. So, instead of a library of videos he has amassed a huge quantity of books due to our inability to read the same book ten times a day for weeks and weeks and weeks....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just find it odd that he shows no interest in TV.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I stumbled on the show accidentally a few years ago, and loved it. Purchasing the 4 stuffed toys ($100) followed immediately. A couple more viewings of part of the show were enough. I mean after all, I'm not 2 and I already knew how to wash my hands. The laughing Sun infant is really my favorite part.
My 6 and 8 year old daughters are not interested in Teletbbies, they say it's for "little kids."
The toys are MINE!

Little known fact: The tallest Tubby is right at 7 feet!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw the teletubbies I got a sick feeling in my stomache.
You must have eaten too much tubby custard! [For the uninitiated - there is one episode where Tinky-Winky eats too much pink gloop - called tubby custard - from the tubby custard machine (what else?) and gets tummy ache, that's soothed by the other Teletubbies singing a soothing song. Not that I've seen the programme all that often ...].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks