Telephone wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff R., Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to add a telephone jack in my family room so I can plug in a computer modem. I ran some CAT 3 cable from a junction to the wall. There are three cables comming off this junction point to other phones throughout the house. My new telephone jack appears to be working fine (I have a dialtone) but when I dial a number and establish a connection, then I start hearing a loud buzzing noise. The other jacks that run off the same junction point have no problems. My problem must be in the wiring I just installed. Is CAT 3 not sufficient for a regular phone line? Could I have some of the wires crossed? I don't have that much experience installing phone lines so any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

2. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

I am not at home right now so I can't look at the color code. I doubt it is the wire unless there is a break somewhere. If you have a multimeter then I would do this. Disconnect the wires at the junction box and short them all together. connect one lead of the multimeter to a wire at the new phone outlet that you put in and measure the resistance to the other wires. the resistance should be low. If it is a real long run it could be a few ohms. maybe one of the wires are bad.

I think there is green, yellow, red and black. I think only the black and red are used but I always hook all of them up matching color for color.

Have you tried another phone just to make sure that is not the issue.