Telephone installation ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Help! I had to make an emergency trip back east this week and my mom wants me to fix her telephone while I'm home. In her kitchen she has a 25 year old telephone mounted on her wall. She wants it replaced with a cordless phone. The problem is I have to figure how to get it off the wall (the way it's mounted, I can't see anyting to release), and then there's the problem of no jack there. The phone is wired right into the wall.

I'm handy with computers and audio/video. Telephones just aren't my forte. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The phone should release if you push up on it. If not, perhaps the cover pops off and there are screws.

Underneath the mounting plate there should be screw terminals that the "hard wired" phone is connected to.

As for installing a jack, once you get the phone off the mounting plate, replace the plate with one that has a modular jack in it. You can get them anywhere (Home Depot, etc.). Installing the jack is a piece of cake, just four wires, color coded. If you can hook speakers up you should have no problem installing a phone jack.

KJP

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Try grabling the phone unit and pushing straight back against the wall, then sliding up.

There is often a metal plate back there that has 2 screws, the back of the phone has 2 holes. By sliding the phone up hard, you are sliding the 2 holes down a tiny track into a larger area were the screws that hold it can be released.

If you get it off, and the wire is straight into the back of the phone, (unlikely) you can buy the mounting plate for a wall phone at a local, like home depot. Screws into the wall with screwdriver, 4 wires out of wall to connect onto the terminals on the new plate.

Your second problem will be, if this is a kitchen wall phone, is there a very handy, electrical socket in the vicinity? A cordless will need to have the 'phone line' connection and an electrical socket nearby. If electrical is nearby is the phone base electrical cord long enough to reach, or will it be in the way.

Thats the most I know concerning this subject, - hope it helps a smidgen

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you sure it's not slid down on a jack like newer phones? can you push up on the phone to slide it and release it? there may be a jack underneath it, if not they're SUPER easy to hook up, 2 or 4 wires and you're set, you can get any jacks you need at a hardware store and they'll have directions for you.

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Kevin's right, just revisited '25 yrs'.

If the 'sliding' does not work, look for a tiny notch, somewhere around the side of the (prob. avocado green or powder puff blue) colored phone case plastic cover.

Disconnect the hand-set from the side to get it out of the way, then gently use a flat-head screwdriver in the notch to pop the main top off, It will look a little messy under there, but somewhere will be 2 screws holding the whole base of the phone to the wall. Then you will probably have to shop for the metal plate with the modular jack hole in the center, hookup the wires, screw it to the wall, and your all set to mate with modern phones.

My mother wanted the cordless on the wall too. Because the nearest electrical socket was across an open doorway, we had to settle for just something modern, with auto dial features and the cordless elsewhere, till I can get my husband or an electrician over there.

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks! You guys are the best! I got it off by removing the front and unscrewing it from the wall. Tomorrow we will finish the project. It's right next to an electrical outlet, so that's covered. Oh, and you're right...it's avocado green![​IMG]

7. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

..after I typed, I just knew you were going to come back with the one I left off,....Harvest Gold. [​IMG]