What's new

Telarc Recordings (1 Viewer)

KwongC

Agent
I have two old Telarc CD's. One is "Big Band Hit Parade" and the other is a 4 CD set with music from the big screen.

Their recordings are really incredible.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yea they are.. My dad has four of their CDs. The most recent was THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENUTRE ALBUM, it sounds really awesome

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just joined this jazz club dealy, and one of the intro CDs was Erroll Gardner from Telarc. For an old recording, it sounds pretty damn good. It also introduced me to Gardner for the first time- he is such a joy to hear play.

The other Telarcs I have are SACDs, and I love them all.

Stereo hybrids:
Lang Lang (19 yr old Japanese piano player)- performing pieces by Rachmaninoff, Haydn, and a few others.

McCoy Tyner, Al Foster, Stanley Clarke
Three masters jammin'

Dukas- Sorcerer's Apprentice, Symphony in C
Like most people, the only Dukas piece I was familiar with was the Sorcerer's Apprentice (Micky Mouse part of Fantasia). This disc gave me a chance to hear his more serious work. The Symphony in C is great.

Mussourgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition / Night at Bald Mountain
I love this music, so getting this one was a no-brainer.

Oscar Peterson, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown- Very Tall Band
I freakin' love this one. Three legends just having a blast.

Surround hybrids:
Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique
Mahler- Symphony #5
Vaughan- Williams- Sea Symphony
Orff- Carmina Burana
Cincinatti Pops perform Beatles (haven't listened to it yet)

NP: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Live at the Quick

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Mike,

how are the surround hybrids? I am interested in all 4 classical ones you mentioned. How are they mixed? How are the interpretations?

Thanks for your info. You know, it is difficult to get reviews on SACDs...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hartwig,

To be honest, I don't think I'm a fair judge of the interpretations of the music. I had never heard the Mahler and Vaughan-Williams symphonies before. In fact, I'm only getting into Mahler now because of SACD (I'm basically snatching up every high-res classical recording I can).

However, I'm really learning to dig Mahler, and of all the surround Telarc hybrids, this is my favorite one. It's a double disc, by the way.

I had never heard any Vaughan-Williams before. It's... interesting. I can hear the "Britishness" of it (some sections remind me of Gilbert & Sullivan) and the use of Whitman's poetry as lyrics is pretty neat. However, it hasn't really captured my imagination.

I have heard Berlioz before, but not so familiar that I can judge the interpretation. Actually, I posted a thread about this exact thing a while ago, but no one responded who could compare it with anything.

The sound quality, as far as I'm concerned, is great. The mix is not particularly aggressive, but more so than some other recordings. That is, there is a significant amount of musical information in the rears. I think it fits very well with the Romantic nature of the music.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
The Telarc disc "Chiller" by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops is one of my favourites with their "Night on Bald Mountain" and "Danse Macabre" performances along with some sound effect sequences including one from "Psycho", all recorded at a pristine and very high level.

The first disc I saw that had a warning indicating that equipment damage could result if you're not careful.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The first disc I saw that had a warning indicating that equipment damage could result if you're not careful.
You got that right. I actually ruined an old set of speakers with Telarc's landmark recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.
My all-time favorite Telarc release is called Round Up, a collection of Western themes. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks