What's new

TekNmotion Yapster Blaster Amplified Universal Headset Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
An amplified gaming headset for less than $30? CompuExpert’s press release claims their new TekNmotion Yapster Blaster Universal Gaming Headset can deliver full dynamic range and deep bass response, while being compatible out of the box with virtually any game console or PC. We put it to the test....

TekNmotion Yapster Blaster Amplified Universal Headset
The Yapster Blaster’s big claim to fame is that it can be used “right out of the box with your computer, Xbox 360®, Playstation™3, Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), OnLive® and many more devices thanks to the included audio adapters.” This is not a USB headset, and unfortunately, the PS3 does not have a headphone jack, and most owners have the game console connected to their home entertainment system via HDMI. In order to use the Yapster Blaster connected directly to the PS3, you would need to use the PS3’s A/V cable along with the included stereo audio coupler and YapsterBlaster USB-powered amplifier, and I found this additional setup to be more trouble than it was worth, especially since there was no chat compatibility with PS3. In other words, you can only use this as a set of headphones. For that reason, I found it much more practical to plug the Yapster Blaster into the headphone jack on my home theater receiver. Since the headset was designed, first and foremost for XBOX 360 and PC users with no workarounds, this is somewhat understandable.

The headset is an over the ear design, and fits quite snuggly, although it does not seal out all ambient sounds. Sound quality is very good, but not great, with decent bass and high-frequency response for a pair of headphones in this price range. My $50 Seinheiser’s obviously sounded better, but that was to be expected. Movies, music, and games all sounded quite good when connected directly to my Yamaha receiver, iPod Nano, and laptop. I even made a few phone calls in Google Chat on my laptop with this headset, and the quality was very good. The callers on the other end were able to hear me crystal clear.

However, when using the included USB-powered amplifier unit, a noticeable amount of noise was introduced to the headphones. It wasn’t particularly annoying, but it was audible. In most instances, I found the need to use the USB amplifier unnecessary, since my laptop and receiver provided enough amplification from the headphone jack already, and I prefer using more portable in-ear type headphones with my iPod.

If you are looking for an inexpensive headset for in-game chatting on your XBOX 360, or to make VOIP calls on your PC, for $30 you really cannot go wrong with the Yapster Blaster. If you are a Playstation 3 owner, it would be wiser to look for another alternative, as this is not a USB or Bluetooth headset.

Users who are viewing this thread