Tekken 4 vs. War of Monsters for PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I'm really interested to hear your reviews.

The other day at Media Play I had War of Monsters and Tekken 4 in my hands but ended up putting both of them back.
    I was having a hard time deciding which one would be a better fighting game for me.

Anyhow, if you've played either War of Monsters or Tekken 4 let me know what you think of these games.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Brian: Tekken 4 is a good game and sports some great graphics, but the general opinion is that it's more of the same. To me, that's a good thing, as I love Tekken.

War of the Monsters is pretty different, and I've heard good things about it. I haven't played it myself.

Do you already have Tekken Tag for PS2? Perhaps if you already have that you should pick up WOTM for diversity's sake. If not, I can confidently recommend Tekken 4 as a quality fighter.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Played War of Monsters last night with a friend who bought it. I thought it was fairly decent. From what some of the members have said the single player game is a bit difficult and a bit lacking though I can't speak intelligently on that as I did't play much of the single player portion of WOM. We did however have a very good time with the multi-player. You definitely wanna have friends around to get the most enjoyment out of it[​IMG].

As for Tekken 4. It didn't do much for me. Mind you your hearing the opinion of someone that is almost completely burned out on the Tekken series so the game didn't exactly pull me in. However if your a fan of the series still, there is a lot to like in the 4th installment. It looks good, plays well and is good fun with a group of sparring partners.

It would also help know what conditions youll be playing in Brian? Single player often? Multiplayer? If its single player let me throw in 2 more suggestions besides the two games you mentioned (and if you don't already own them). Virtua Fighter 4 goes without saying. Its 19.99 and if you do decide to end up buying Tekken, I would urge you to spend the extra 20 on VF 4. That way you'll have the best of both worlds. Good arcade fighter for parties and the best single player fighting experience out there.

Finally you may want to take a look at the recently released Guilty Gear X2. Its a 2D fighter ala the Capcom fighting games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and such. Its got a definite learning curve but my god is it awesome once you get the basics down. The game has a great mission mode, a special mode where you compete for medals to score points and your basic arcade and training sections. Not to mention its got some of the most gorgeus 2D artwork out there and its progressive scan to boot! (Im working on the review right now, Ill be posting it on the forum a little later tonight Brian if your interested.)

PS: With regard to my B-day. I wish I was 13 again, no bills, no responsbilities[​IMG]. Yes I'll have that. 13 seems so long ago and Im only 25!!

4. Cliff B

Cliff B Agent

I would just like to mirror Romier on his Virtua Fighter 4 suggestion. I've spent hours and HOURS with this game and I'm totally hooked. In fact, I've got a few friends that are hooked as well, after checking it out at my place.

It's cheap right now and well worth the purchase if you're looking to add a fighting game to your collection, IMO.

5. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Has anyone figured out how to make Guilty Gear X2 go into progressive so that it works with the Linux VGA cable? I heard it suppose to work with a VGA monitor.

6. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Answered my own question: Yes, VGA works with GGX2. Looks great.