Tekken 4 and Onimusha 2 Impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I just got my Tekken 4 and Onimusha 2 PS2 games yesterday from the mail, and it's been fun so far...

I haven't played Tekken since Tekken 3 on the PS - T4 was definitely a big step up for me. The graphics are very colorful, and the game chugs along at a very smooth frame rate (looks like 60 fps to me). The backgrounds in the arcade and story mode are very impressive, and some have a little interactivity in them (pillars, spectators). You can use the arena to your advantage - by cornering someone against a wall to inflict some major damage - a very nice addition.

In addition to the arcade mode, there are others (some which are hidden I presume) such as practice, training, team battle, survival and force mode. The force mode is a LOT of fun - when you have 10 guys coming at you and you wipe 5 or 6 of them in one major blow - it's really satisfying. The story mode introduces the background for each character, and each has their own elaborate CG ending.

Like its predecessors on the PS, the game adds a lot on top of the traditional arcade mode - you can even save your fights onto your memory card to relive the glory. I was really impressed with the whole package - Namco definitely delivered the goods on this title.

---

Onimusha 2 is equally impressive. It feels more like a real PS2 game compared to to Onimusha, with more detailed prerendered backgrounds and characters. Gameplay feels like Onimusha 1 on speed - it's a little more hectic, but manageable. There are new character moves, like slash combos and a slash that lifts the enemy into the air (!). The hack-and-slash element to the game looks like it's tweaked a little bit, but I haven't had time to gain experience to see all the new fighting moves.

I noticed that they added a little adventure element to the game, where you can trade items with some characters. It's a nice little addition, though I started to feel like the traditional delivery boy in RPG games. It looks like most of the item-trading is optional, and I'm not sure, but I think giving a lot of items to a character increases your reputation - I'd have to play more to find out.

Speaking of characters, they actually fight with you some of the time, instead of appearing for a cutscene and then disappearing Resident Evil-style.

Voice acting was very impressive - which was really no surprise. I hope they allow the game to have the original voices with English subtitles for the American release - it'd be a shame to lose all that talent to sub-standard dubbing (the English voice acting for Onimusha was laughable compared to the Japanese version).

The story is run-of-the-mill so far, where everything is basically spelled out for you ("You are the chosen one, go kill Nobunaga") - but maybe things might change down the road.

Overall, a nice step up from Onimusha 1. I still think they should get rid of these damn save points and let you save anywhere, but oh well...

Well, it's back to playing for me!

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

So is Onimusha 2 more than the 6-7 hour affair the first game was? bah

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This is very superficial of me, but what is the quality of the CG endings in T4? Are they long or really short?

4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I'd like to know how you got Onimusha 2 5 months early?? [​IMG]

5. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

imported

6. Yoshi Sugawara

I'm not sure, but Onimusha 2 looks potentially longer than the first. But if you couldn't stand the first one, I wouldn't bother with the second.

The CG Endings are longer than that of Tekken 3, and they are more story driven than some of the ludicrous endings that T3 had.

And yea, I have the import versions and a Japanese PS2. I can only play Japanese games which means I get to play some early, but then again I'm missing out on games like Grand Theft Auto 3...What's up with this regional coding anyway? What about bicultural people like me? Sorry, got carried away there...

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

it's not that I couldn't stand the first one, stylistically it was very cool. I just couldn't believe it was over when it was over.

So how are the puzzles in this one? I remember one in the first one where you had to re-arrange a picture while you were trapped in a room quickly filling up with water. Took me an eternity to figure out the mechanics of that one....

8. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Oscar
    Me Too! That was the hardest puzzle that I have ever encountered in a video game. I had the cheat in front of me and it still took me a while to get it right!
    And the funny thing is, when I mention to other gamers how hard that puzzle was, they say, "Hard?. I did it on the second or third try!".
    Sheesh.[​IMG]
    BTW I LOVED Onimusha and can't wait for the sequel.

9. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Me too, that puzzle had me stuck even when i had the solution printed out! My mate came round and did it on his 1st try...go figure.

I'm looking forward to both of these games.

10. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I had a flash animation of that puzzle playing on a laptop in fornt of me, and I STILL couldn't grasp just how to work that puzzle out. Only thing in the game i needed the guide for.

11. Yoshi Sugawara

Yeah, that puzzle, you either get it, or you don't. I didn't, and my g/f came over and solved it for me in a few seconds...wierd.

I've been busy and haven't progressed much, but there haven't been much puzzles yet...the ones I came across weren't too difficult. As long as there aren't any Resident Eveil-ripoff puzzles (like getting one half of an emblem and getting the other..wtf?), I'll be satisfied...