What's new

Teenager sentenced for Computer Hacking (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Looks like that Wargames scenario might not be far off...:eek:

LONDON (Reuters) - A London teenager has been sentenced to 200 hours of community service for hacking into the computer system of a U.S. physics research laboratory to store his personal collection of music and film files.

Joseph James McElroy, 18, of Woodford Green, told Southwark Crown Court in London on Monday that he hacked into 17 computer systems at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory near Chicago over a two-week period in June 2002 to store and exchange hundreds of gigabytes worth of computer files with his friends.

The whole story here...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040202/325/el0nw.html

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
FermiLabs.com - Premium online storage service. Store 200 Gigs for only 200 Hours!*
*Of community service*

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
OK, I think saying "teenager sentenced" makes it seem like a kid was charged...while I believe in holding people responsible for what they do, they should have said "18yr old" or "adult"...but that wouldn't grab attention as much, would it?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
of course not, they want you to believe that there is some wonderchild 14 year old kid who is smart enough to hack into the most secure of networks! thr truth isnt as interesting. nobody would read an article entitled "adult gets community service for sharing files with friends" they gotta make a barely interesting story interesting somehow...

CJ

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well the papers today made an even bigger deal out of it "A British lad has set off a full-scale alert at a US nuclear weapons lab!" it says here. :eek:
So it must be headline news on the other side of the pond right?

*crickets chirping*

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well it has it's own thread on HTF!
Didn't make it in any San Francisco's newspapers.....
WAIT, I forgot to check in the back next to the penile implant ads

They're advanced units, fully subsidised by the State of California as per the Governator's campaign promise: "Rise of the Machines". The device Janet Jackson was "wearing" was a remote control unit. When MTV promised a "shocking" moment, they weren't kidding!

-Robert

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

That's why Arnie's wife has that dumb smile all the time;knew it had to be something like that!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Scientist: Now gentlemen, we shall start the Omicron-seven supercomputers and astound the world with the revised theorums of realativity!

Computer: "Ain't no party like a west coast party/ 'cause a west coast party don't stop"....

Scientist: Oh for the love of God, who's been storing MP3's on the supercomputer? And Coolio MP3's at that.

Lab Assistant: Sir, the missle defense grid is lighting up and undulating with the throbbing rythem of the computer! And the RIAA is on the phone, we're being sued for piracy!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

Of course not. People over here only care if involves Laci Peterson or Janet Jackson's boobies or gay marriage. Everything else is trivial and unimportant.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Wargames II:Revenge of the RIAA!

Steve
That's too close to reality. If you ever come to San Francisco (Be sure to wear flowers in your hair....so we can mock you a second time) beware of bars with names like: The White Swallow
Moby Dicks
The End Up
I think the SF Penile Examiner is kiddy corner from the Glory Hole :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh: Well at least now we all know where all that penile enlargement spam is coming from, oooh...;)

Paul is right though, hacking into a nuclear weapons lab might have been big news years ago, but today... how can it compete with Janet's 'boob'? Currently the most googled 'event' on the net.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Steve is right, I did that many years agoooooo.....Mr Cheney how did you appear?
No it's a freakin joke what are you doinnnnnng with that claw????
No the craw not the claw you work for CAOS??? Where is agent 99?
Excuse me my shoe is ringing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks