1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Teenage Werewolf/Frankenstein, Colossal Man , Saucer Men.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LouA, Dec 9, 2014.

1. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

"I don't think the people who make movies today really know what they're doing. They are repetitive. They're not creative or original."--Vincent Price.

Susan Hart is a total nut case!

The woman has been to court (a whopping) four times attempting to sue individuals-organizations for copyright infringement of the 1950s AIP films in her possession and has (rightly) lost all four times on the grounds of "public access" (all the judges involved must have been Democrats thank goodness).

The day the "privileged" few gain more rights than the average citizen then it will be time to really worry...and to fight back!
    With the loss of TALES OF TERROR (1962) to a rival faction I really don't have any kind of faith in the (so-called) Scream Factory for much of anything. Right now we don't even know whether there will be another (quality) Vincent Price collection in-the-works.

This may be indicative of some sort of "falling out" having occurred over the property. Time will tell. But it really leaves one with the (distinct) impression that Scream Factory was (likely) "talked" into doing this in the first place and never had its heart genuinely in it at all. If the firm really cared it wouldn't have let TALES OF TERROR (1962) be taken from it.

I never even heard of the Scream Factory before. I know that I preordered the first Vincent Price collection probably on the basis of favourable advanced online reviews. I (enthusiastically) supported it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought-supported-advocated the second volume and loved it as well. So just what is the problem here? I am (absolutely) certain these things made money for the firm but somehow it all goes back to there being some kind of a stigma associated with (so-called) "older" genre films which is ridiculous. They are timeless! They transcend-encompass all generations!

These bona fide classics-favourites-reliables will be remembered long after the repulsive bilge that Scream is currently peddling are (thankfully) forgotten. To (aptly) quote someone: "That's why they call them 'classics'!"

Technically speaking I am (likely) older than the "two" behind Scream Factory but (having seem them both) they look (much) older than myself so I don't consider either to be young. For grown "mature" men not to have a regard-interest-passion for the classic horror films is outright reprehensible (and absurd). These should be the first things being attempted to release not the last (if at all).

Do these two fellows really take pride in being so "square"?!

I use to "wrap" with many local video retailers in our area (all-of-which are pretty much gone now) and one of the things that was consistent in what they had to say was that of all the horror films titles being repeatedly requested I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957) was the most asked about.

This modestly executed excursion into contemporary horror (circa the late 1950s) has attained legend status. If I was running a company like the Scream Factory I would most definitely want that title under my auspices. (Temporarily) forget the others. Just focus on the one. Get an amicable deal agreed upon and start work on a quality bluray edition. Don't procrastinate any further with more uselessness. Somebody, somehow please get it done!

I am not going to defend Susan Hart (or her stupid meddling husband) but clearly she isn't the only problem-obstacle here.

It's high time that these (upstart "youth" oriented) companies realized that the classic horror films (very much like the classic monsters themselves delineated) will never die. No chance! There will always be (enduring) interest in them.

As I said in another discussion thread I suggested a bluray Beach Party collection (in an identical vein as the Vincent Price collection) for a (big) Summer 2015 debut-release to Shout! Factory and of course we (now) know this is not going to happen.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

2. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    The Amazing Colossal Man widescreen was really good.. Pulp Video did a good job.. whether or not its the correct aspect ratio I was happy :)

3. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I couldn't find pulp video!

4. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
  5. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Teenage Werewolf and Frankenstein have never been released officially on DVD? I thought maybe the MGM Midnite Movie series had them at one time. Might have been imagining it though. I know I bought a bunch of the AI 50's horror films on DVD years ago during a sale somewhere.

6. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    A "Beach Party " Blu-ray set would be nice , but I believe that Olive Films will be issuing them individually in that format .

7. JSul

JSul Stunt Coordinator

Sadly, am afraid that many of the younger generation could care less about these films. Film history....history of any kind, does not seem to matter to them.I hope I am wrong. We now see 'archive series' films presented on the horrid dvd-r made on demand discs.....yes, it's all about the money and profits, and I understand that, but it still saddens me. It is doubtful we will ever see many of these titles again. I support TCM, and hope that they can continue to obtain the ability to present many of the titles we yearn for.....but in some cases, even they may not be able to secure a widescreen print, case in point, The Black Sleep.

8. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

"Shout Factory's 2-DVD set of Roger Corman's Cult Classics Triple Feature is something genre fans (including yours truly) have been whining for for years. It seemed that decent copies of Corman's early films would never show up, due to the avarice of the rights holders of A.I.P. titles or the iffy chain of title for these Allied Artists releases."--Glenn Erickson (A review of the Shout! Factory Roger Corman's Cult Classics Series SF Triple Feature 2-disc set dated December 28th, 2010).

Just image a BEACH PARTY (bluray) collection with bonus extras like audio commentaries and oncamera interviews with film series survivors Frankie Avalon and Dwayne Hickman.

But if the firm isn't happy with its VINCENT PRICE (bluray) collection then they're not going to pursue the other.

Yes two BEACH PARTY film series are coming out in bluray but in overpriced editions (usually with no bonus features of any kind excluding even the theatrical trailers). Definitely not nearly as good as it could have been in the "right" hands.

It is difficult to know just where Shout! Factory ends and the Scream Factory begins.

I always thought of Shout! as the retro branch but the Vincent Price Collection being released under the aegis of Scream defies this.

Another (likely) issue specifically with the Vincent Price Collection is that it overtly stands out from among the disgusting inotropic flow of degeneracy that normally comes out of the Scream Factory. Coming from this company its an anachronism (albeit an ultra classy one).

And this is precisely what this specific discussion thread is founded on "retro" horror titles.

The only titles I have purchased specifically from the Scream Factory banner are the Vincent Price Collection volumes one and two, DIE, MONSTER, DIE (1965) and BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN (1956).

I have purchased much more from the Shout! Factory including the groundbreaking Roger Corman 1950s SF Classics (their words) triple feature (ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, NOT OF THIS EARTH and WAR OF THE SATELLITES).

This is where I am coming from in my purchases. I would love to see this specific 1950s Allied Artists SF triple feature upgraded to bluray with a vastly improved upon anamorphic widescreen (enhanced for 16x9 tvs) video transfer of WAR OF THE SATELLITES (1958).

Don't get me wrong. There are some "early" AIP 1950s SF-horror titles that I do not like at all. Just because something is (now) vintage doesn't necessarily mean that it's also good. But I won't mention these titles because if I do someone would likely release them ahead of the good stuff just out of spite.

Jeff T.

9. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    If you collect sci-fi...it's ALL GOOD!!!

10. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Now you've got me interested... Where is this flow you've described so colorfully?

11. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Just go to the Scream Factory website and see for yourself!

Jeff T.

12. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

I'd (further) like it known that I (futilely) requested a bluray release of X, THE MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES (1963) from the Scream Factory and (like a similar request to the Shout! Factory) got nowhere with it.

Fortunately it will become a reality through Kino.

This is the kind of material-entertainment I like.

Jeff T.

13. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    A lot of titles requested for Scream seem to be heading in Kinos direction starting last year :)

14. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

The Scream Factory is a scream alright...but not in the context that they mean!

But to give credit where it is due the two Vincent Price Collections were outstanding. However one doesn't rest upon one's laurels. It's not what has been done yesterday that counts but what is being done today and will be done tomorrow. With the loss of TALES OF TERROR (1962) if continued by Scream Factory (and we really don't know if it will be) it will now be an incomplete homage. Not all of the Roger Corman AIP Vincent Price Edgar Allan Poe films will be covered.

I think that Scream should have been cognizant of the adage "the best of both worlds" in its marketing selections. In other words not delimiting its involvement with the "older" horror classics as it has done. But it's now likely too late. Look at all the great prime stuff that Kino has (intelligently) availed itself of.

There may be (some) advantage to having Kino take over (if that is what has happened) as since these films will (likely) be marketed individually one can purchase the specific titles of interest.

Speaking for myself I am not interested in Mr. Price's latter work and would just pass on these. Vincent Price himself was no fan of much of this stuff either.

Jeff T.

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I think that's where your age is showing. A lot of us here are older and grew up with all these sci-fi horror movies. Either saw them when they originally came out, at children matinees at the theaters or caught them on TV when they originally aired. I've seen all these movies numerous times and I've been collecting them when cable first came out and you could use a blank VHS tape to start your collections.

Myself, I collect them all because they are all good, in their own right. I only double dip when the BD is much superior than the SD. Some say the BD is always superior, and I say it's not true.

Anything upscaled onto my 110" screen looks pretty damn good. If it's a good SD, it'll look good on the screen. As a matter of fact, some SDs are so good, if BD wasn't around, they would be perfectly fine.

These is all just my humble opinion.

BobO'Link and Reed Grele like this.
  16. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

You're opinion certainly counts.

However I don't think it has to do with age but (good) taste and preference.

There are differing generations who can (rightly) revile this stuff just surely as I do.

I am definitely glad that Vincent Price was able to work as long as he did but it still doesn't change my opinion of some of these (horror) films. I am more into story content and dramatics rather than gore and violence. I further (strongly) feel that it's my obligation to make certain that these better films definitely get released.

I consider the Roger Corman AIP Edgar Allan Poe series (far) superior to the latter lesser (or failing) attempts by less capable (or less talented) hands.

But (hypothetically speaking) if the Vincent Price Collection continued there are seven of these latter produced substandard films three of which have already been included. As long as the remainder are portioned out one or two at a time out of a total of six or seven films in each volume I (personally) could live with that.

But I reiterate if the remaining Vincent Price AIP films are packaged individually then I'll just continue to purchase specifically what I like. This is precisely what I did with the MGM Midnite Movies Series "standard" DVD releases.

Jeff T.

John Sparks likes this.
  17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yeah I personally like all the price AIP films the older and newer and while the late 60's and early 70's films were more violent and a little gorier compared to the late 50's and early 60's films I wouldn't really call them gore films, especially by todays standards. I am sure anyone horror fan raised on the 80's horror up to todays horror would consider the early 70's Price AIP films very tame and PG or TV Movie material.

John Sparks likes this.
  18. bretw1967

bretw1967 Auditioning

BRET D WHEADON
    OK - so how did this slip by Susan Hart? Cheezy Flicks is releasing a DVD of "Invasion of the Saucer Men" - an *official* release??? http://amzn.to/2DS5aL6

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Cheezy flicks specializes in laserdisc copies of Republic serials on DVD. I don't believe any are official and they all range from average to below average quality. I suspect they are transferring this from the old Full Screen VHS copy released in the early 90's. I have seen it show up on free streaming channels recently and it doesn't look very good. I would definitely wait for reviews.

Brent Reid, Camps and bretw1967 like this.
  20. bretw1967

bretw1967 Auditioning

BRET D WHEADON
    Okaaay - but wouldn't that also break copyright laws? I mean, MST3K can't go and re-release the Godzilla movies they riffed on, even though the copies they originally used were public domain?