Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Rudolph, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I just caught the premiere and it was great. I'm betting thsi will be the best version of the ninja turtles yet. Unlike the previous shows, they seem to remember that being a ninja isn't just about fighting. It may take me a while to get used to Raphael's voice though.

2. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Beat me to it. So, rather than retype my review from other boards, I'll just cut and paste [​IMG]

Well, after a 7 year drought of repeats, we finally have some new animation to dig throguh. You don't know how comforting it was to watch an episode and NOT know all the lines from heart [​IMG]...

I was a bit worried from watching the first act. It was neat, but something didn't seem to mesh well for some reason. After that, however, the show definetly seemed to flow smoothly, and I really got into it. The
    screeching, Godzilla roar like Mousers will take abit to get used to, but nothing too major [​IMG].

All fears of voice overs are completly erased. The clips on the site didn't do them justice. Raph is great, and has a hint of the first movie voice in him. Gotta lough is hotheaded reactions. Leo is good, Mike makes ya laugh,
    and Don has a bit of a nerdiness to him...Shredder...still going to miss James Avery, but this guy is PERFECT. Can't wait to see his other persona.

It'll be interesting to see how April fits into the serires next week, and I think Casey Jones is a month or so down the line...

Either way, me thinks...me likes [​IMG]..

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I'm glad I read this thread in time, or else I will have missed it.

~T

4. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Did James Avery do the old Shredder? Really? The guy who played Phillip on Fresh Prince of Bel Air????

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Will they be re-running the premiere anytime soon or will I have to wait until Spring? And was it an episode showing the very beginning of the Turtles or just something they could replay at anytime in no chronologial order? Also did they do their tradmark sayings like cowabunga or turtle power!!! :b

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Nope, won't have to wait for the Spring. Just next week at 8:30 [​IMG].

7. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

Neil V: I thought your review looked familiar, and then I noticed your sig. So you run the Ninja Turltes Network? I love that site. Next to the official site, I think yours is the the best TMNT on the net.

And now my impressions (also cut-n-pasted from another forum with the same topic): I must say, I am pretty impressed. The first act of the show got off to an OK start, but once the second act ended, I was really enjoying it. The voice actors are much better than the voice clips that were posted would have you believe, and the only voice I don't like is Splinters. The Shredder's voice is perfect, even though he only had about three lines in this episode. I also like how the aspect ratio of the show changes during battle sequences, a la "Samari Jack". The one thing that struck me as odd is that for a first epidsode, there was no origin story, to explain how they became the Ninja Turtles. I'm sure most of the kids watching this are too young to have seen the original show. I think I enjoyed this episode more because there was no origin story, it let me get right into the action. I'll definately be watching the show on a weekly basis.

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

whoa whoa whoa...new TMNT? which channel and when?

9. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Yea where and when?

10. Scott Ware

It's on Fox at 10:30 am on Saturdays. If you missed this weeks episode, Fox will be airing it next week at 8:30 am, in addition to the new one at 10:30 am.

11. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

I went to a mall, and they had posters for this show stuck up all over the entire 2 floor mall. Fox really advertised this. I wonder if it did well.

12. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Now, I know it is Saturday morning and all, but is the cartoon closer to the original comic book or just more "cowabunga, dude" cartoon fare? I loved the comic book and I know Fox can air great translations of comic to cartoon (look at the animated "The Tick" to see that). Just curious.

Thanks!

Phil

13. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

14. Scott Ware

If you go to the official Ninja Turtles site (http://www.ninjaturtles.com/), you can read infomation on all the episodes in season one. To summerize, there is no Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, there is no "Cowabunga, Dude!" dialog, the Ninja Turtles are rarely seen eating pizza, and The Shredder is no longer a source of comic relief like he was in the original show.

Just recently, I saw a clip from the original show, and compared to the new one, and the results are like night and day. The new show takes place primarely at night, everything is shaded, and the primary color is black. The old one had bright colors typical of saturday morning cartoons. Simply put, this new show is just as dark and gritty as the comic, but not to the point where kids won't want to watch it. After all, the comic itself wasn't all that dark to begin with.

So to answer your question, yes, it is fairly close to the comic.

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

By the character designs on the official site, it appears they've restore Baxter to being black.

I think they did a great job establishing the various character's personalities and skills and it was probably wise to delay the intro of the supporting cast and origin or the episode would have gotten clutterred.

16. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

For those interested in an animation comparison between the old and new, here's some pics. I would have popped in the VHS tape of the first five Japanimated episodes for a better comparison, but it got done quicker this way [​IMG]...

[​IMG]

17. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

18. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Mike-M: Yep, James Avery as in the big dude from Fresh Prince did the voice of Shredder. Actually he's done voices for quite a few animated series (nowhere near the level of Jim Cummings naturally, who I think is just locked in a box at Disney Animation someplace :p)) such as Aladdin, Gargoyles, and Iron Man as well.