Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Director's Cut?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob T, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

http://www.planetracers.com/blast/blast50.html
    Several weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Steve Barron (director of the first TMNT movie) again for several days of meetings here in Northampton, meetings having to do with a potential TMNT project about which I can't really say anything right now. During one of our breaks, I was chatting with Steve about that first TMNT movie, and he mentioned that he had a videotape of his first rough assembly of the film, and he offered to send me a copy. True to his word, Steve got a copy of the tape to me last week, and I had a ball watching it. It is VERY rough, there are a few scenes missing (not many, though), there's no music, no finished sound or voices (curiously, in many of the turtle speaking scenes you can hear two voices - the actor in the turtle suit and the puppeteer -- speaking the same lines simultaneously!). What there IS, though, is some neat stuff that never made it into the final released cut of the film, including several fairly long scenes -- one of which is the comic publisher's office scene intended as the ending of the movie, from which I had only seen one still (I was never sure if the whole scene had been shot). There is also a wonderful extended training scene when the turtles are recuperating at the old farm, as well as many other character bits and pieces which got trimmed.
    I asked Steve if he would be willing to work on a director's cut version of the film for a DVD release, and he said "Sure!" Whether or not the film still exists to use for a project like this, I don't know. But it sure would be cool! Maybe it's time to start bugging New Line...

A Director's cut of the best TMNT movie ever would be great!
    A platinum edition or infinifilm of it would be excellent! [​IMG]

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I love this movie to death, and I would love to see it recieve the treatment it deserves on DVD!

3. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    This used to be a favorite of mine growing up, and an infinifilm edition might be worth picking up for nostalgic purposes. I wonder what I would think of this now.

For what its worth, I remember that comic publisher scene mentioned being in the comic (or "graphic novel") adaptation of the movie. It was a gag that failed miserably, even when reading it with the sense of humor of a nine-year-old.

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

5. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

A special Edition of TMNT would be most excellent. I thought about picking up the current disc, but I think I'll hold off now.

Anyone remember the guy who climbed the side of a building dressed as a ninja turtle? It was before the movie opened, to generate hype. Pretty cool.

6. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

This seems like such an obvious candidate for an SE, I don't know why New Line hasn't done something with it. After all, TMNT did pretty much put them on the map.

7. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

8. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Will the directors cut also have the Vanilla Ice preformance from TMNTII?

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

COWABUNGA DUDE!!!!
    This news is awesome. Hopefully, it gets some great treatment!

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

T.U.R.T.L.E POWER.....ah great songs of my younger days. [​IMG] I'd welcome an SE of the first movie, I was very fond of it, and still am as it happens, it was a pretty decent transition to screen.
    Dan (UK)
    PS: I'm Changing the thread title slightly so more people know what's being discussed here.