Teen Titans March 6th Episode:

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jerome Grate, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Don't expect to many responses, but the Show was by far one of the best ever.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

To be honest, I haven't liked Teen Titans all that much. It feels like it is trying too hard. Justice League, on the other hand...

As for last week's episode, it had some good fights, but the plot was a bit too Saturday Morningish for me. It was pretty obvious that we were going to get a Big Lesson from the very beginning...

Jason

3. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

For a non-Slade episode it was pretty good. The lesson about winning isn't everything was apparent from the card game and was a little overdone. Besides that though the episode had some good fights and a good old fashioned gladotorial plot.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

This episode sums up exactly what the show is- a 20min long videogame.

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Except for Robin I've never heard of any of the characters. Are they classic DC teen heroes or are they made up for the show? Where's Supergirl?

6. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

The Teen Titans cartoon is slightly based on "The New Teen Titans" comic book from DC that premiered in the 80s. It consisted of Raven, Cyborg, Changeling (now Beast Boy), Wonder Girl, Robin, Starfire, and Kid Flash. IMO, it was such a serial-type comic I always likened to to DC's version of X-Men.

They've updated/modified it slightly to have less characters in the show, but I think it does a fairly nice job, even though they've tamed it for kids a little.

Rafael.

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'm guessing they subtracted Kid Flash and Wonder Girl to not conflict with Justice League. This, BTW, is before Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing, to give you an idea of the timeline...

What was nice about this episode was having Speedy and Aqualad, both being members at some point of the Teen Titans...

Jason

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

This is the only thread about this show that I've found.

I LOVE THIS SHOW! Unfortunately, I've been without cable for some time so I've only seen the first 6 episodes or so. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and was immediately hooked. The shot of RAVEN "emerging from the mists" in the opening titles has to be one of the most stunning animated moments I've ever seen. The entire title sequence looks like a tribute to SAUL BASS.

And I love the theme song too! I'm a total PUFFY fan now and have all their albums, including imports.

I am so pleased to know that WB will bring us BOXED SETS before the year is through!

9. Michael Menduina

Hate to be a stickler, but I believe Beast Boy was his original name in the late 60's. He was a member of the original Teen Titans briefly and was later renamed Changeling for the 80's revamp (The New Teen Titans). In the 80's, The New Teen Titans was second only to The Uncanny X-Men in terms of sales. They even made an X-Men/Teen Titans crossover.

Personally, I think this show is pretty bad for anyone over 13. I sometimes watch it, because in the 80's, I was a huge Teen Titans fan and collected all the comics. IMO it is step backward in animated storytelling. This series reminds me of the 70's Superfriends with their ridiculous, campy stories (Mad Scientist attacks! Let's Destroy the Superfriends!).

Justice League on the other hand, is EXCELLENT! I am a huge fan and would jump at the chance to buy DVD season sets.

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

For the DC purists Teen Titans is just awful. I'm sure the style is all the rage with the kiddies, but it's not for me. Style over substance.

JL on the otherhand is excellent this season, and the writers clearly know their DCU, paying homage to Golden and Silver age characters.

I also could go for JL boxed sets. Unfortunately WB already commited to individual releases, so they're not ready to do that yet.

Teen Titans will have a S1 box set soon.

11. Jerome Grate

Teen Titan Box set for S1, I don't usually buy t.v. shows on DVD, but I love the show, my son at 3 years old love the song and show, we sit together watching it. I can definetly go for a box set.

12. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Yeah, it's definitely a show geared towards the under 13s, but it's just good to see the Titans on TV. It takes me back to when I used to follow the comic book. I think it's very much a homage to the (some would way) silly original Super Friends series with the simpler stories.

Plus, it was a nice surprise that Marv Wolfman (The New Teen Titans original, and I think best, comics writer) actually wrote one of the first season's episodes.

Rafael.

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Ack!

Did the show go through any changes recently? I've only seen the first 6 episodes, but I noticed lots of little touches that seemed aimed directly at me and my generation. In the first episode, when we are introduced to Starfire for the first time, she and Robin enter the room and we hear only the tail end of their conversation:

Jerome, did your 3 year old appreciate that joke, or did it go over his head?

Even though the theme song's referencing P.F. Sloan's SECRET AGENT MAN is anything but subtle, I doubt anyone under 13 is familiar with the reference. And basing the opening titles on the style of SAUL BASS seems like it was done for my benefit, not little kids.

I prefer this show to the other DC cartoons because the others seem a bit dry and stodgy. TT, however, is energetic and exciting. I still have all the old Wolfman/Perez issues, but I am by no means a "purist" or continuity nazi. I'm willing to accept a great deal of deviation when adapting a story from one media to another. I appreciate the heavily stylized look and the anime influence. I find the characters endearing -- they are defined by their personalities and their interactions with one another, whereas the characters on Super Friends (as much as I like that show too, for nostalgic reasons) are defined pretty much by their costume and powers.

14. Jerome Grate

Frankly, it went over my head also:b

15. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I kind of like Teen Titans although it gets to "cute" for me at times.

Justice League I tried to watch the first season but got tired of so many re-runs that I gave up on it. Guess I made a mistake huh? So when is it airing new episodes?

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

The new JL season is much better than the first- I did not like it much last season at all.

It's on all the time. At least once a day. Lately they've been rerunning it in the 10-10:30pm timeframe.

17. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Last season they would show a couple of new JL episodes for 2 weeks and then re-runs for 4 or 5 weeks (no lie).

Are they getting better with the new episodes now?

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

They were for a while, showing it in hour long blocks of new episodes. Lately, tho, that has changed, going back to showing half hour episodes.

I agree with Eric that season 2 of JL is much better. The characters are starting to develop personality, and I like the plots much better. (Including a nice one with Darkseid.)

Jason