What's new

Apple TV+ Ted Lasso (Apple TV+) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the two free preview episodes, and it's got my strongly considering signing up for yet another free trial.

Based on Jason Sudeikis's character from those NBC Sports Premier League commercials, by all rights this show should be a one note gimmick that wears out its welcome before the first episode is over.

And it's true that the laugh count isn't particularly high.

But it is an incredibly endearing beacon of positivity arriving in the bleakest year for planet Earth since I've been alive.

And while Ted Lasso is catastrophically unprepared for the role he has just taken on, he's a man of surprising complexity and willful optimism, who is genuine and kind. Much like Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent in the first four Superman movies, it's not that he isn't aware of how he is perceived by the world around him, but rather that he has the self-assurance not to let all of the collective judgment compromise who he is or how he conducts himself.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hmmm. I've been on the fence about whether to watch this. I should add that I've been following English football for over 40 years, so should be reasonably familiar with his environment, and how he's such a fish out of water in it, whereas for most American viewers I'd imagine you'd see it more "from the fish's point of view", if that makes sense?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ted Lasso ended up being my favorite show this year. I don't particularly care for Jason Sudeikis or soccer/football (or any team sport for that matter), but I found the show to be about much more than that, It's about personal growth and overcoming adversity while maintaining a positive attitude. Also, it's worth the price of admission just to see Coach Beard's Christopher Lloyd impression.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I really expected to hate it. A show about an unflappably positive -soccer- fish out of water coach? Sounds nauseating.

But it's really really really fing good. Best show of the year? Not for me but I'll support those who choose it!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I loved the show from the git go. We had not seen the commercials and had no idea the character was based on a set of commercials. Doesn’t sound like a particularly good idea. But kJ It’s funny and touching and often surprising. Jason S. Is great in the role as is the head coach. I really bought into her character arc of the team owner. Well cast all around.

Bring on season 2.

PS: it was funny how the owner began jonesing for the home baked treats Coach brought in each morning.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I really got the feels at coach’s response to seeing Jamie Tartt’s dilemma at the end of the finale.
Absolutely: it really highlighted that Coach was really a college/high school "coach" in his mindset, that he felt his mission was to improve his players, even one on loan, rather than just win -- which is the ultimate mandate of any professional top-level coach. And strictly, in the English football context, his job is "manager", not just "coach", although IRL that is changing anyway.

Bottom-line: loved it. IMHO, Coach Lasso embodies all that, to the rest of the world, is/was good about USA: generous and warm-hearted to fault, never-say-die can-do attitude, egalitarian we're-all-in-it-together mindset.

I do wonder whether the writers will really go all the way with a storybook fairy-tale ending of Richmond winning the Premier League: I assume gaining promotion back to the PL is a given, but actually winning the title might be a step too far? Then again, IRL Leicester City won the title in 2016, despite being 5,000-1 outsiders...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they only go three years, I'm betting a squeaker that gets them back in the Premiere League at the end of season 2, and the 5,000-1 long shot in year three.

I've been watching the show for the first time the last couple of days. Love it. Glad Apple decided to give it two more up front.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I really, really liked this series. It has been a breath of fresh air from all of the overlong, drama serials that have dominated quality TV shows the past decade.

Ever since "Lost", every other TV show it seems is an on-going cliffhanger. While Ted Lasso does have developments that evolve, it's not like it is one single long episode. It's also extremely funny.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If they only go three years, I'm betting a squeaker that gets them back in the Premiere League at the end of season 2, and the 5,000-1 long shot in year three.

That would mean winning the playoffs for promotion: say they barely finished sixth in the league table to just make the playoffs (which are between the teams in 3rd to 6th), and some dramatic last-minute winner (or penalty shoot-out) in the playoff final to gain promotion.

The playoff final is notoriously called the single most valuable game in world football (soccer), as winning it, and the promotion it comes with, guarantees at least one year in the PL and its attendant riches (shared TV rights money, 'prize money' for competing), and even if relegated at the end of that one year, 3 years of "parachute payments"; last count the total was around 170 million pounds in payments alone (i.e. not factoring increased gate revenue, sponsorship deals and merchandise sales, by virtue of being a PL club instead of in the second tier).

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't like sport shows but after so many raves started it and I'm loving it. Absolutely loving it. Finished "1x07 Make Rebecca Great Again" which I think is the best episode so far.

Did not know Juno Temple is in it, I might have started it sooner if I knew she is in it! I'm not an accent expert. Since she is British, is her accent in this her real accent and in the other US movies, it's acting or vice versa?!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally had the chance to finish watching the first season tonight after having loved the free preview episodes back in September and subscribed to AppleTV+ for the second season of "For All Mankind".

I really loved it. There is such integrity to the title character; he reminds me a lot of Elwood P. Dowd from Harvey, in that he's neither stupid nor oblivious, but making an active choice every day of his life as to the type of person he wants to be: "Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Bill Lawrence is on record as saying he has a three-season plan for the show, because he doesn't expect Jason Sudeikis to be available for more than three seasons.

Given that structure, I think the second season ending with them squeaking back into the Premier League is a given. I'm not sure if the third season ends with the ending from Rocky or the ending from Rocky II.

Did not know Juno Temple is in it, I might have started it sooner if I knew she is in it! I'm not an accent expert. Since she is British, is her accent in this her real accent and in the other US movies, it's acting or vice versa?!
Brett Goldstein, who is a writer on the show in addition to playing Roy Kent, has said that the Keeley Jones character was written a certain way but once they landed Juno Temple for the role, they really started retooling the character to inject more of Temple's real personality and humor into the character.

In interviews, she speaks with a West Country accent that isn't far off from the one she uses for Keeley. It's definitely the American accent that is the affectation.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I got Apple TV with my new phone contract. This show was recommended in the endless emails I was getting. I read the synopsis and thought eh. I couldn't find anything else to watch, wanted a 30 minute show so I gave it a shot.

Not what I expected, far better than I could have ever suspected! This is a fantastic show. The characters and the writing are top notch. Written as real, well rounded characters not caricatures.

I am binging and I can't wait for more!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was Sudekis going through his break-up with Olivia Wilde during the filming of season one, or just premonition through art?

Just binged season one, enjoyed the character arcs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks