What's new

'Ted 2' Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
In short:

In 2012's Ted, the foul-mouthed yet affable talking teddy (voiced by co-writer/director Seth MacFarlane) fell in love with fellow grocery store clerk Tami-Lynn McCafferty (Jessica Barth). But when the pair decide to tie the knot and adopt a baby in Ted 2, things don't go as smoothly. Instead, Ted finds himself stripped of his legal personhood, leading him to do what any self-respecting toy bear would do: sue the government for his civil rights. With his best pal, man-child John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg), and pot-smoking newbie lawyer Samantha L. Jackson (Amanda Seyfried) in tow, the result is about as un-pc as a movie can get. But amid all the ridiculous celebrity cameos, absurd pop culture references and jokes about male genitalia, Ted 2 actually offers a surprisingly heartfelt and sincere lesson in equality. Of course, this sequel's very specific brand of humor won't be to everyone's tastes. But for audiences who enjoy their crassness with a side of compassion, it's more than bearable.

Click here to read my full review.

Film rating: 3.5 out of 5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The writing in the first hour is clunky, with only a few jokes landing, but the film gets a bit of its footing back in the 2nd half, albeit with a weak villain subplot while it pursues its central plotline of Ted's personness.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

(Did enjoyed Amanda Seyfried's song, though, lovely voice).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ted 2 earned $32.9 million in it's first weekend, this was way below industry forecasts.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrible follow up to a hilarious first film. Ted 2 is as unfunny as Ted is funny. I compare it to Arthur 2: On a The Rocks. A few funny gags but overall flat and uninspired.

** out of ****

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much of a fan of Seth MacFarlane but for me, Ted 2 was like his other movies and TV shows- some very funny gags (shouting out sad things at the improv, the paranoid names for strains of pot) but a lot of misses in between those funny jokes.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The wife and I are big fan of "Ted" and so we saw this on Saturday with high hopes.

For the most part, we were disappointed. While the movie landed a number of winning zingers, such as the early scene with Tom Brady, it dragged on a good half-hour too long, and as TravisR noted above, the hit-rate on the jokes was low, probably two duds for every one that hit the funny bone. They should have cut a lot of the "bonding" scenes, such as around the campfire, which killed the film's momentum. And why did we need two courtroom scenes?

The Bear and Wahlberg still had much of the same chemistry that made the first film a winner, and that blonde Amanda girl is always fun to look at. But overall, I found myself checking my watch for the last 45 minutes or so.

35/100

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
The writing in the first hour is clunky, with only a few jokes landing, but the film gets a bit of its footing back in the 2nd half, albeit with a weak villain subplot while it pursues its central plotline of Ted's personness.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

(Did enjoyed Amanda Seyfried's song, though, lovely voice).

Good summary. Watching the first act made me afraid the entire film would be totally awful, but it does get better as it goes.

Not a ton of laughs - and more than a few serious misfires - but a more involving story than I anticipated. I'd put it on a par with the first movie: very up and down but watchable enough in the end...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
steve jaros said:
The wife and I are big fan of "Ted" and so we saw this on Saturday with high hopes.

For the most part, we were disappointed. While the movie landed a number of winning zingers, such as the early scene with Tom Brady, it dragged on a good half-hour too long, and as TravisR noted above, the hit-rate on the jokes was low, probably two duds for every one that hit the funny bone. They should have cut a lot of the "bonding" scenes, such as around the campfire, which killed the film's momentum. And why did we need two courtroom scenes?

The Bear and Wahlberg still had much of the same chemistry that made the first film a winner, and that blonde Amanda girl is always fun to look at. But overall, I found myself checking my watch for the last 45 minutes or so.

35/100

Gotta give Seyfriend credit for her willingness to let McFarlane call her 'Gollum" so many times - and then to pair her with Gollum!

I think Seyfried is pretty hot, but damn if she doesn't have Gollum eyes! :D

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought ted 2 had plenty of laughs and was definitely better than A Million Ways to Die in the West. Though I thought there was a weird stagnancy to the tone from start to finish. I guess it just felt like a really long episode of Family Guy. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but McFarlane hasn't topped the first "ted" film, which I though was better than average. ted 2 was fun for sure but on a lesser scale.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Colin Jacobson said:
Gotta give Seyfriend credit for her willingness to let McFarlane call her 'Gollum" so many times - and then to pair her with Gollum!

I think Seyfried is pretty hot, but damn if she doesn't have Gollum eyes! :D

I liked the Gollum jokes too, but the only thing Amanda's eyes and Gollum's have in common are their size. Hers are gorgeous.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Being an attendee of those large "comicon-like" conventions, I sort of howled at the Gollum spit-take, mainly because I've photographed that Gollum product at San Diego Comicon a few times.

IMG_0370 by Pat, on Flickr

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
After walking into Ted with too high expectations and leaving somewhat disappointed, the exact opposite happened with Ted 2, a film that I expected to be underwhelming only to like it way more than the original. Lots of the jokes landed for me, and I guffawed throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks