What's new

Technology to ensure best quality and compatibility with next gen game consoles? (1 Viewer)

Jason.Falk

Auditioning
Hi all -

I am in the market for a new TV. I do not have really serious interests in HDTV or DVD watching, but I definitely want my purchase to be up to snuff with the latest input technology on the next gen gaming consoles like the Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Revolution.

I realize that the latter 2 have not been released yet, but I figure that the latest technology that they'll use to communicate video has probably already been established.

That said, what features/inputs should I look for on my next TV to make sure that I'm covered for getting the best graphics/display out of these forthcoming consoles?

Thanks!

jf

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The PS3 is going to be Blu-ray compatible so that probably means 1080p output so ideally you should look for a 1080p set that accepts 1080p native input. Not all of them do right now, many more will over the next year or so.

However, since both the XBOX360 and PS3 are HD devices (Revolution probably not) you should at least consider an HD set with 720p or 1080i resolution. I'm using my XBox360 on both my 720p Runco projector and my 1080p HP MD5880n and it looks phenomenal (especially so on the HP, but that's because the resolution of that set is better.)

Anything less than 720p/1080i will not get the most out of these boxes.

Jason.Falk

Auditioning
Thanks!

What inputs are the best for supporting the formats you mentioned? I keep seeing HDMI, DVI, blah blah - but I have no idea which ones are the most likely matches for a console.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you get a 1080p set you should be covered with all the inputs you need. I'm not sure what the consoles use, but if you've got a good selection of HDMI and component inputs you should be fine.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The XBOX 360 only has component outputs for HD but any HD set you purchase absolutely must have HDMI or DVI inputs and they must be HDCP compliant (most are). Note: HDCP stands for "High Definition Copy Protection." The reason I say this is that HD DVD players (Blu-ray and HD DVD) will only provide an HD signal through the digital (HDMI or DVI) ports so that if you get an HD set without HDMI or DVI you are not going to be able to watch the new technology (HD DVDs) at full resolution.

Millions of HD sets were sold in former years without digital inputs and there is always a chance that some of these are still out there on the shelves. Steer clear of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks