Technological ramifications of Daylight Saving Time extension

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Linda Thompson, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

The bill is now law. This article examines a few of the technology-oriented ramifications of the extension, including some near and dear to the hearts of us HTFers (DVR programming issues, etc):

http://tinyurl.com/dp4jl

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My question is, instead of changing the date, why don't they just get rid of the damn thing to begin with and make things much EASIER!!!!!!

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

If it's law, then I guess some Canadians may have to stay up an extra hour to catch the late night shows or watch the prime time shows during dinner time.

That'll be kinda odd.

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Four hundred billion bucks in the hole, a war going on, and this is what Congress considers a pressing matter. Is this a great country or what?

Mort

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If I had my way, this whole Daylight Savings Time idea would be eliminated. It made a certain twisted sense during the dark days of the First World War, before Rural Electrification and all, but now -- please! [​IMG] Haven't these goofs ever heard of flex time?

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Bleh. Why does Congress dink around with stuff they don't fully understand? With all the gadgets I've got that depend on the current (oops, I meant former) schedule, my life will be inconvenienced in a major way for one month out of the year. Operating systems can be updated, but not watches, VCRs, my home automation system, telescopes, answering machines (which log call times), remote controls with timer functions, clock radios... And for what? Four more lousy weeks of morning commutes in the dark? Is this really going to save any energy?

Yes, it's just an inconvenience, not a life-threatening situation. But even at the level of inconvenience, I can't believe that what we're getting out of it is worth the price.

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Amen, Mort! Testify!!

I got a few snickers some years back when I referred to Daylight Savings Time as "Government Mandated Jet-Lag."

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Flex time is THE way to go for this. What is so hard? Especially with many companies having international connections. Is it that hard to start school an hour later?

I know it is easy to get carried away with this, but most of the VCR's out today get their time from the local PBS channel. (far from perfect).I'd think the DVR's would be the same.

...and if I have this right, they still haven't figured out that DST should be centered around the longest day of the year.

Maybe we need to get a DST boycott started. We could start by calling all of the local TV stations (that carry prime time schedules) and tell them that you want them to go back to the way it was before.

Glenn

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It definitely seems like the ones who benefit from DST are FAR less than the one who are simply annoyed the F** off by it. [​IMG]

10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I'm half serious about writing my Congressman and both Senators and ask for a new bill that would specifically repeal the DST changes that were just signed.

The government has a few trillion more important things to worry about.