What's new

Technics SL-MC4 60+1 megachanger CD Player (1 Viewer)

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
This Christmas I got a Technics SL-MC4 60+1 Megachanger CD-Player.

I got it because I asked for a “Good CD player”… I suppose I should have been more specific. Anyways, I’m still going to give it a shot before I decide to return it.

What does everyone think about this player? Is it a good player or a cheap player? I suppose I wouldn’t be so picky if this was my first CD player, but I can already play CD’s either through my HTPC or my Laserdisc player… what I wanted was a nice dedicated unit that besides having the convenience of having a separate unit, also played the CD’s with better quality than my previous options.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Chris
I love megachangers, listening right now to one of 700 cds I have loaded in the them (never a repeat!!)
Does it have a digital output? They tend to have cheap D/A converters, bypassing the internal one helps.
Does 60 do it for you? Since I have 1000s, 60 wouldnt put a dent in my collection.
You can always put your favorites onto burned cds (add text too so you'll know what is playing) and get the best use out of it.
Grant

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, the 'MC4 is a budget player. It's good for the money, but not a high-end player. As Grant said, megachangers tend to sound rather mediocre through the analog outputs (of course, this depends on your frame of reference), so you might want to run it via the digital output, if you haven't done so already. In any event, the 'MC4 is solid for the money, but like with many things, if you spend more, you can do better. I don't mean to sound down on your new player, but I am just putting things in perspective.

Also consider whether a 60+1 changer will adequately suit your needs, as Grant mentioned. I have actually considered connecting the 'MC4 or 'MC7 (110+1 model) to a shelf system in my bedroom and filling the megachanger with CD-Rs. For the bedroom, either model would be fine. However, in a primary listening room, I would feel limited with one of these players. For $200, you could get the 300-disc Sony CDP-CX355, and for $300, you could get the 400-disc Sony CDP-CX455. Just a couple of options to consider if you have a rather large CD collection.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I know quite a few people that have the 60 or 110 & some of them are over 5 years old with no problems yet. The only thing I would say as mentioned above is, is 60 enough for you? If after you've tried it out & you like it remember for only a few $ more you can get the 110+1 Disc model. I always liked these models because they don't have a carosel type changer in them which moves the disc to the laser while these move the laser to the disc & from what I understand there are less moving parts in the Technics setup which is why then tend to last longer than the carosel changers. I also think it's a lot easier to change the discs in the Technics than the other players. If I remember right, and I thinking about the older models, the 110+1 also had a jack on it to hook up a computer keyboard to enter the CD titles & etc which is a nice feature seeing you can pick up a keyboard for around $10 & get the titles into it really fast. :D Hope this helps you out & I would go for the 110+1 Just my 2 cents ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks