What's new

Technics' name change to Panasonic (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,

Man that brings back some memories. I remember shopping at Reliable Home Appliances back in the early 80s. The Merrifield store? I bought a boombox there. My dad bought a largely Technics stereo there when my family moved to northern VA. The Hitachi speakers with giant 12" woofers are still going strong though the tape deck, turntable, and receiver are long dead.

I can not see the Technics name dying in pro gear. DJs will rebel. The "wheel of steel" will just not be the same.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Ah, the Merrifield store! I bought my 27" Toshiba TV from there 12 years ago, still going strong. Great prices everyday, and when they had sales, it was like a zoo trying to get into the store. I think they were one of the pioneers in no-frills shopping in the DC area. Too bad they're out of business now.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If my memories serves me correctly, I believe Technics was a little "higher end" than where it ended up. I believe those SA-DA series receivers from last year was one of their last gasps.

Oh, those Technics 1200 turntables! I remember when I was working as a DJ at my college's radio station and having two of those turntables. Talk about memories of spinning David Soul records.....

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Owned the Technics SL-1300 Direct Drive Turntable w/Stanton 881 Cartridge and the Technic's SA-TX30, cousin to the THX Certified & Badged Technic's SA-TX50 AV Receiver.

FYI: These DPL Technics SA-TX series AV Receivers was one of the few units with 'seperate memory' for "every" DSP Mode/Source INPUT's for each of the 5-Speakers and Sub/LFE channels.

Phil

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
to answer an earlier question, no technics hasnt been recently acquired. i bought a technics receiver about 8 or 9 years ago, and looked it up, it was a subdivision of panasonic then, and the remote even had panasonic batteries with it.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
The SA-DA series receivers were no cheapo ... I have the SA-DA20 and it's really - in terms of build quality and sound - a "high-end" component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks