technics best sub $300 receiver ... SA-DA20N, kenwood vr507/509 or Onkyo TXDS575X

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I don't know anything about this Technics sa-da20n receiver, maybe someone can help me out. Looking for the best of the bunch. Please give reasons as to why you feel something should or shouldn't be considered. Any other ideas or suggestions are more than welcome as well. This would help many I'm sure that are budget oriented. Thanks Guys!
    [​IMG]

2. Jason Hammerly

Throw me a bone here. Thanks guys. Any thoughts on any of these receivers?

3. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I have the Onkyo 575x and it is awesome. I did all my researching about it here on HTF about 8 months ago and decided it was the way to go. I am sure now that it is almost $100 less than when I bought it it is a real steal. I don't know anything about the other receivers, but I have no hesitations recommending the Onkyo. I use it in my dorm room driving relatively inefficient speakers (87 dB) and it never has any problems with getting hot or overheating- even when on top of my computer. Also, the sound is great, both in Direct Stereo mode and with DD/DTS. check around, and most of all, listen to your ear.

Todd

4. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The Kenwoods and Onkyo sound great. The Kenwood VR507 and 509 have DD, DTS, DPL2 and SRS Circle Surround. The VR507 is at Circuit City for $250 this week. Some people have found the VR509 for $300 at CC.

5. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

I have the Technics SA-DA20. It's a stunning product. I really don't understand how such a FINE product - build, sound - can be just given away at $300.
    Given that the SA-DA20 is a second generation product, the original being the SA-DA10 (MSRP $800), the following reviews might help you to have a better idea of the product:
    http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/A...ct_69121.shtml

6. Jason Hammerly

Tulli ... how many svideo in's and whatnot does the receiver have. What kind of speakers do yourun with it? Anything else you can tell me about it would be great. The website for Technics doesn't have a whole lot of info on it. I'd love to get some more feedback from other owners on this. Does it run hot? Looks liek the first model ran hot. Is there a discrete amp for each channel. How does it compare with Onkyo and Denon? Thanks for the help.

7. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I would put the Onkyo and Technics above the Kenwoods. They are built better and have better amplifiers. The Onkyo is the best in my opinion. I have a 494 and have no complaints, and I know thw 595 is even better. The Technics is a great receiver for the money. It is one of the best looking things I have ever seen. The Kenwoods just dont seem to be as heavy duty.
    Also check out Denon, Yamaha, and Harman Kardon.
    Later

8. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The Kenwoods perform as good as the Onkyo receivers. Both are built good for budget receivers.

9. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

10. Sean Conklin

I found this Panasonic SA-DA20N same model numbers you gave for the Technics, could it be a Panasonic your inquiring about? If so this looks pretty sharp!

11. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick

12. Sean Conklin

13. Jason Hammerly

Thanks for all the input so far guys. What's the general consesus on the Onkyo 575? Is it worth the $275 as a refurb at onecall over my other options. I thought about getting this or the Kenwood vr507. The only advantage the Kenwood has over onkyo it seems is DPL2 and CS. Would the Onkyo be that much better sounding and can I trust a refurbed unit? I like the remote on the Onkyo. Does it work with most anything? Thanks for all the help!

14. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

As I said, I have the SA-DA20 and you should LISTEN to it ... it's really a wonder, and on a par - I mean sound & build quality - with mid to high level receivers.

And yes, it is the model shown on the Panasonic web site.

The "extravagance", or we might say, "singularity" of this receiver is that it was originally intended - together with the superb Technics DVD-audio player A10N (originally $1000) - to compete on the mid audiophile arena. Of course, Panasonic went too early with DVD-audio and is now simply giving these devices away, to jump - or get back - to more "down-to-earth" products.

This is no doubt an exceptional product; IMHO, a feast to my ears (as it was to my pocket!).

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Jason.. I sent you an email. Check out my unit on EBAY... it's the latest model of the 575, the 575x.
    The remote ROCKS! I have it controlling damn near everything in my house including the microwave! (ok not really.. but it might [​IMG] )
    It's up to 217.. but for the price, you can't beat it. 7 months old and babied.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1316093142
    Jim

16. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The Onkyo 575x would be the way to go out of all the ones mentioned. You should also be able to look at the Yamaha RX-V420 and the Denon AVR-1801 or 1602. The Yamaha RX-V496 is also an excellent budget receiver.

17. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Putting on flame proof suit here.

In Consumer Reports last comaparison of receivers the Technics SA-DX 1050 scored very high. The models referenced above are very similar to the 1050. Recent Technics receivers are known for running hot and they have a fan. Some people are very happy with all they get for their money with Technics. Right now the model 950 can be had for about $150 after rebate.

18. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Jason you should take a look at the Denon 1602. In this price range it is probably your best bet. High Current amps and Pro Logioc 2. Kenwood and Technics are OK and Onkyo is even better but I would go with the Denon.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

19. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Jason, I own the SADA10k which is the champaigne finish of the unit. I can't tell what the difference is between the 10 and the 20 which is a silver finished unit. The amp puts out good volume compared to my Pioneer receiver rated at 110watts. The Technics reaches reference levels just past the 50% mark on the volume knob while the Pioneer is nearly at 80%. My gripes with it is that it does not have a coax in or component in. Another complaint on the unit is that the remote control cannot do fast forward/backward scan. All it can do is advance chapter. One thing is that it is simple enough a remote for my wife to operate so based on this plus the great sound, I kept the unit.

20. Jason Hammerly

Yea ... but the 1602 doesn't seem as "beefy" as the 1802. Seems like more of a budget type receiver to me. What do you guys think?