Technicolor registration issues

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottR, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I've noticed on a few of the Ultra-Resolution WB discs that there are still instances of mis-registration. However, upon closer inspection, the registration issues don't affect the entire frame. An object may be out of registration, along with another object, but everything else in the same frame looks perfect. Was this an oversight in the restoration, or something that happened in the camera?

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Can you cite some examples of which movies and scenes were affected? I've always understood that the Ultra-resolution process was able to correct all registration issues.

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Well, Ultra-Resolution uses a process called "edge-detection" to do it's work. Perhaps the software just wasn't able to define the edges of those particular objects properly and thus they were not re-sized.

-Lyle J.P.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

One example is in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy first steps out of the house into Technicolor. After she looks around and smiles, she is moving out of frame when the misregistration occurs. You can see it on the plant to her right and on her shoulders and hair ribbons.

5. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

Now that was one of the points I used as a reference for where the new UltraRes system was an improvement on the old print. On the previous DVDs of Wizard, there's a marked jump at that point where the registration goes bad for a couple of frames but on the new edition the shot went past picture perfect - as far as I was concerned, anyway.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

On the old version, the jump was during a cut to the next shot. On the new one, it happens right before the cut.