Technical aspects of Bridging

Don K

Agent
I understand how to bridge an amp but I am not sure exactly what the numbers means. My amp manual says 105 watts per channel at 4 ohms and 300 watts bridged at 8 ohms. What is that approximately at 4 ohms or does it mean that once bridged I can only drive a speaker at 8 ohms.

I have a SVS passive Subwoofer and it can handle up to 500 watts at 4 ohms. Will this bridged amp at 300 watts at 8 ohms drive that Subwoofer sufficiently? And at 300 watts at 8 ohms close to that 500 watts at 4 ohms?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The watts rating for a speaker or speaker system (500 watts for your subwoofer) is the point near where it would blow out from too much power input. 300 watts from the amp should be fine.

With your amp, as you described it, you may only use speakers of 8 ohms or greater after bridging. (4 ohms or greater without bridging.)

Using speakers of too low impedance and turning the volume way up so as to output maximum power can blow the amp.

I couldn't calculate what the 4 ohm bridge output would be but 500 watts seems right. Except the blow point or redline for the amp. is probably somewhere around 375 watts.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gellert