Tech question about progressive scan and HDTV.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew s wells, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I just got a pioneer progressive scan DVD player. I own a Toshiba 50H81. I was curious, since there are the options "Film and "Video", which should it be on? If i am correct doesnt "Film" activate the televisions 3:2 pulldown?
    If that is the case should i just leave it on video? Any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I think you might have it backwards. If you have your DVD player set to "progressive" then when you select "Film" mode, it does activates the DVD player's pulldown. In order to use the TV's pulldown, you have to take off progressive completely. The TV itself takes care of it's pulldown, but you have the turn on that option on the TV itself. That's how mine works. I turn off progressive scan, and set my TV to "film" mode when watching a movie and "film mode OFF" when watching a TV show. But I've got a DVD player that SUCKS ASS when it's playing progressive. It is HIGHLY recommended that you use the progressive feature on your DVD player and not your TV. Let your DVD player do the work.