What's new

Tears Of The Sun superbit? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I thought Training Day was highly enjoyable and was looking forward to picking up this DVD but I was concerned with it being Columbia/Tristar of the possibility/likelihood that a Superbit re-release would be coming out in the near future.

Does anyone have any info on the possibility of one?

If not, does anyone know how what this disc's picture quality is like? I was hoping to get Robin Hood, The Right Stuff, and Tears Of The Sun today but might hold off if the video quality is subpar.

Thanks!

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
Check here for an enjoyable read on the quality of the disc.

Also, it's $15.99 at CircuitCity in case you didn't know.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Training Day is Warner Bros.

Tears of the Sun will more than likely become a Superbit one day.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
It's Columbia! Of course there's gonna be a Superbit! Heck, they even skipped the barebones edition for this one, so it will come quicker than you think.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Oops, didn't mean to say looking for the Superbit of Training Day if anyone was thinking that. I meant to say that I liked Training Day a lot and was looking into getting Tears of the Sun.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Okay, thank you very much for the input. I will definitely hold off on purchasing this disc then in preparation for the inevitable Superbit release especially with Chris' comment of the sound being VERY compressed. I would much rather prefer DTS than badly compressed sound.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A bit off topic, but it's something that's bothered me for a while. Is it Tears as in "Tairs" or is it Tears as in "Teers"? Thanks. ;)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
it needs one!

the sound is VERY compressed.
Compressed? We can't be talking about the same DVD. At reference level, the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on Tears Of The Sun was crystal clear, rivaling some of the better DTS tracks that I've heard. I heard no harshness like you would with an overly compressed track and dynamic range was outstanding, with everything from the click of an insect to the guttural roar of a jet represented nicely. Transients were punchy and clear, and deep bass was well defined without seeming muddy. I only recall one instance in the entire movie where someone's voice had a slight touch of noise, like the ADR was off. Honestly, I don't know how they could have done a better job with the audio. Even the score comes across nicely, though it's not Zimmer's best work. For sheer spaciousness alone, this disc's sound goes right up there with some of my favorite discs.

If they do eventually put a Superbit version out, it will be interesting to see if there's any discernable difference in the DTS track because I can't imagine the soundstage opening up any more than it is now.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I'll add this to Jeremy's comments....For once the movie trailer content makes a disk worth buying. Yes, It's worth the purchase for that alone ;)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
well,

I saw this theatrically. Being a Zimmerite (see Zinfo), the sound is paramount. Likewise with BHDown, the sound on DVD is NOWHERE near the theatrical track, and both need a SuperBit.

yes, the sound is clear, but you really have to crank it up, and no, I did not get goosebumps during the final song, which I got in the cinema and when I played the CD.

it is just not there.

yes, it is enveloping etc etc. but no impact.

you know the feeling, when you're anticipating a sound you've heard before but it just doesn't come.

that's my take on it, and each to his or her own, with any disc.

FYI, the sound on JUST MARRIED is even worse.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I didn't have to crank it up any louder than any of my other discs. Reference level on my receiver yielded the level I'm used to hearing. And no impact? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, 'cause my SVS was rockin' the house during this movie.

But hey, there are always disparities between the theater, your home system, my home system, etc. I can fully understand that it doesn't recreate what you recall from the theater. I didn't get to see it in the theater, so I can only compare it to other DVD's that I have... and in that regard, it was excellent.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I assume your system is calibrated.

it's cool anyhow.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
A lot of people seem to still be ok with most of the high profile DVDs that Columbia has been releasing lately, but I am not one of them.

I thought that xXx and Spiderman were two glaring examples of DVDs that seemed to have been made just ok, so as to help sell more Superbits (xXx is out, Spiderman is still pending).

I want to get Tears of the Sun, but I think that I'll wait for the Superbit.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I thought that xXx and Spiderman were two glaring examples of DVDs that seemed to have been made just ok, so as to help sell more Superbits (xXx is out, Spiderman is still pending).
So basically Sony is releasing subpar DVDs(at least in comparison to what other studios are producing) just so they can milk the audio and videophiles for more cash with a "Superbit" release which in reality is nothing more than what they should've given us in the first place? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious to know how many others share this sentiment.

I raised this question in the Black Hawk Down thread, but I'll ask it once more. Why is it so hard for Sony to offer top-notch transfers, DTS audio, AND a bunch of supplements the first time around? Make it a 2-disc set if you have to, but give everyone what they want without making them purchase multiple copies of the same film.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
its called $$. The studios are trying to make a profit. they release as many versions as possible as they know people will still buy them

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks