Tears of the Sun (Blu-ray) review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jeff(R), Sep 13, 2006.

1. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

2. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I am hoping for the best with this title, not necessarily for BD help, but for getting more people to watch this much overlooked, and powerful movie.

Thomas Eisenmann

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Interesting, maybe that explains why Sony is not as aggressive as we would want them to be in their releases as the pristine video may do all the talking. Good to see somebody at Sony got it right. That's also an interesting point as we believe that mpeg2 encoded discs are believed to be inferior discs in comparison to HD-DVD, yet this one suggests other wise.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Hear, hear.

If it wasn't for Training Day, I'd say this is Fuqua's best pic.

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I really loved this movie and can't wait to see it in a HD format. I'm kind of sad that it won't be carrying over some of the bonus features from the SE DVD though.

Thanks for the review,

Ryan

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Agreed, even if for largely visceral reasons. I disagree with Peter's statement that the BD "combines the two [previous SD releases], retaining most of the key extras and discarding the weakest of the fluff." I think the BD would at least need to include the Director's Extended Cut for this to be true. I wonder if the PQ issues with the added footage (they have conspicuously different color timing on the Extended SD) were an issue in Sony's decision not to do the Extended on BD.

It's very frustrating IMO when studios don't use the technology available (seamless branching) to include both/all versions of a film. Sony was/is a noteworthy cuplrit in this regard with their early BDs (this and Black Hawk Down). Here's hoping The Patriot and CE3K signal a sea change.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

IMO the extended cut of this movie (which is not simply the original DVD's deleted scenes edited back in) is far superior to the theatrical cut, which I thought was only OK. I'm really disappointed to hear that the BD doesn't include it. No sale for me.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I also think it unfortunate that the unusually copious assortment of trailers on the first DVD (S.W.A.T., Bad Boys II, Hollywood Homicide, Basic, Anger Management, Black Hawk Down, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Radio and the terrific TOtS trailer using music from Gladiator ) neither was ported over to either the Extended SD nor brought back for the BD. It's not like there are rights issues with Sony including trailers of its own movies.