Team Canada's Mens Hockey Team...thoughts?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew Pratt, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi, Vancouver Canucks

Shane Doan, Phoenix Coyotes

Kris Draper, Detroit Red Wings

Simon Gagne, Philadelphia Flyers

Dany Heatley, Ottawa Senators

Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames

Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning

Rick Nash, Columbus Blue Jackets

Brad Richards, Tampa Bay Lightning

Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche (captain)

Ryan Smyth, Edmonton Oilers

Jason Spezza, Ottawa Senators (alternate)

Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes (alternate)

Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning

Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks

DEFENCE

Rob Blake, Colorado Avalanche

Adam Foote, Columbus Blue Jackets

Ed Jovanovski, Vancouver Canucks

Bryan McCabe, Toronto Maple Leafs (alternate)

Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Chris Pronger, Edmonton Oilers

Wade Redden, Ottawa Senators

Robin Regehr, Calgary Flames

GOALIES

Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils

Roberto Luongo, Florida Panthers

Marty Turco, Dallas Stars

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I don't see too many surprises given who's running the show but I wouldn't have put doan in ahead of Spezza and I don't think McCabe belongs there given his +- rating.

Could a Mod please edit my title to remove the Todd Bertuzzi part?

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    all hype aside, i think crosby deserves a spot on this team. he IS that good, but team canada would gain a lot of attention from him simply being there. or maybe that is what they wanted to avoid. i'm just glad that loudmouth roenick was left off the usa team. he's an embarassment.

CJ

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I think they left Crosby off b/c he's a lock to play at the Worlds this spring since the Penguin's won't make the playoff's. The fact is they had to cut somebody and he's the youngest of the bunch so his time will come just not yet.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    possibly, but none of the articles mention that as a possible reason. they probably just think he is too young. or maybe he just had a bad tryout. i disagree with their decision, but i respect it. as far as talent goes, i'd have to say he is above most of those guys. i hate buying into hype, but this kid is the real deal.

CJ

6. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

If this team doesn't take the gold, there will be mass suicides in Canada. With good reason.

7. Magnus_M

Magnus_M Stunt Coordinator

Looking good, we can always debate individual names but I'm confident that those putting the rosters together knows what they're doing.
    Great coaches and great players makes Canada a team that will be tough to beat, then again there will be many teams with just as many great players making this a real thriller.

But don't claim the gold just yet, being patriotic I really hope and belive that Sweden will be one of the biggest contendors for that particular medal.

8. James T

James T Screenwriter

Spezza should have been on the roster. He's really improved over the last few years and he looks to continue to improve.

Crosby will have his time. They took experience over anything else.

McCabe is not the best defenceman, but he's one of the league's top scorers. He likes to take risks and more often than not, he makes the right decision.

I would have taken Cujo instead of Turco. Cujo is a competitor and plays even better when the pressure is on.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It's highly likely that Speeza or one of the taxi squad will get a shot this year with the number of injuries that have been cropping up.

I am also happy Bertuzzi made the team, he has gotten back in the groove and is definitely showing the ability that got him recognized as one of the league's elite before the Moore incident. I think he will be a valuable addition.

As for Crosby, I agree he will have his time, and unless something drastic happens between now and then, he is a shoe-in for 2010.

Should be more exciting hockey, even though I disagree with having professional athletes performing in the Olympics. I'm hoping the women's team can reclaim gold this time out as well.

10. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Well, I used to agree with that school of thought, until I realized a few things. First, pros have been in the Olympics for as long as the Olympics have been around, including the original games in ancient Greece. Second, the modern Olympics always had pros too, who unfairly competed against amateurs. "Amateur" status was a preposterous sham and I'm glad it's gone. Finally, the whole concept of "amateur" vs. "professional" was not created as a result of some high ideal; it was dreamed up by upper crust nobility in order to avoid having to mix with the rabble who actually had to work for a living.

The Olympics, and sports in general, are a huge money-making machine - why should the participants, whose talents feed the machine, be the only people excluded from making any money? If you are interested in the effects of such an arrangement, look no further than big-time college football and basketball.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

How could this bum make it? He can't be that good when an orginal six team trades him to some teal wearing, warm weather, semi-expansion team with a fish on it's sweater for a #3-4 defenseman, a speedy german and a puck bag filled with Primeau-Light.

Uhhhh, what's that? He's the NHL player of the week? He's scored ~2 points a game since the trade? He's made a sniper out of Cheechoo and another Knuble out of his cousin? Ooops... nevermind.

Oh. I forgot to add Mike O'Connell's reasoning for the trade - He's not a "leader" (whatever that means) and not a "Top 10" player (except in points scored in the NHL - where he is Top 3 for the past 4 seasons, inclusively). [​IMG]

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i was never a fan of thornton, and ive always said the way to get him off his game is to give him a solid check. he's a big guy, so it may take a few. but after a while, he starts to lose his temper and take bad penalties. but the guy has put up solid numbers. however, i never thought he was a leader. agreeing with mike o'connell is something i'd never expect to do. despite disliking thornton, trading him was a pretty bad move. if i were jeremy jacobs, i'd clear the entire front office, from sinden on down.

CJ

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Joe Thornton has 8 PIM's on the year. He had 6 total when he was traded. Believe it or not, one of the things Sullivan said about him was that he only had 6 PIM's so he was not playing "his game". Damned if he did and damned if he didn't. Who cares if the guy is 3rd in total points the last 4 seasons, he was not leading. Leading what, OC's pitiful "spend just enough to get in the playoffs" scrubs? Wayne Gretzky was not a leader either, except in points. He was so ethereal with his talents and his physical game was non-existent, so he could hardly inspire the average muckers and grinders. Messier, the physical, gutsy, grind it out player, was the leader on those teams (see Kings and Rangers with Gretz and look who was added when the Rags won the cup). JT was simply a scapegoat for O'Connell's mismanagement of the CBA and now the Bruins will fire OC, fire Sully, Harry will be further out of the picture and they'll still have the legacy of the 00's version of Pederson for Neely, Wesley and (eventually) Samsonov. Except, this time, Harry and OC got their pockets picked by a warm weather team. They traded a #1 draft pick that will be top 5 in points for years to come for what amounts to a 2 game bump. Meanwhile, the Sharks are like 7-1 and are scoring 4+ goals a game. [​IMG]

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    true. i disagree with the best player on a team being the captain, just because. your best player is supposed to put up the points. i just never saw any qualities in thornton as a leader as i saw in some other leadership greats (yzerman, sakic, messier), and whether or not sinden was being truthful when he said they never should have made thornton the captain, i have to agree with him. but he could have been covering for himself, as thornton was already gone.

CJ

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yzerman and Sakic were recipients of the exact same "No Leadership" tag until their later years, when they started winning cups. Both were considered busts as captains/leaders. Yzerman is compared to Thornton a lot because he was a captain who was not anything resembling a leader until he was 27-28. Thornton is 26.

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    then i must be too young to remember any of that, as long as i can remember, both guys have been looked up to for their leadership qualities.

CJ

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

As they should be, but often a finesse player, even though they have grit, don't develop as leaders until they hit their prime, which is 28-34. Messier, while supremely talented, also lead with his body, his stick and his fists, something the Bruins have tried to castrate from Joe's game, except when they can use it against him like in the latest propaganda from Causeway St. Plus, Messier was just special. There was a time when I'd take him in a spoked B over Gretzky, no questions asked.

18. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Here's the US line-up. Maybe Canada and the US can get together between games for some shuffleboard. Are we sure that this is the Olympics and not the Senior Olympics? Geez, I hope no one breaks a hip. [​IMG]

GOALTENDERS (3)
    NoNameHt (cm)Wt (kg)BirthdateS/CBirthplace2005-06 NHL TeamCollege Team (if applicable)
    Rick DiPietro5-11 (180)185 (84)9/19/81RWinthrop, Mass.New York IslandersBoston University
    Robert Esche6-1 (185)210 (95)1/22/78LUtica, N.Y.Philadelphia Flyers
    John Grahame6-2 (188)210 (95)8/31/75LDenver, Colo.Tampa Bay LightningLake Superior State University

DEFENSEMEN (7)
    Chris Chelios *^&6-1 (185)190 (86)1/25/62RChicago, Ill.Detroit Red WingsUniversity of Wisconsin
    Derian Hatcher ^6-5 (196)235 (107)6/4/72LSterling Heights, Mich.Philadelphia Flyers
    Jordan Leopold6-1 (185)205 (93)8/3/80LGolden Valley, Minn.Calgary FlamesUniversity of Minnesota
    John-Michael Liles5-10 (178)185 (84)11/25/80LZionsville, Ind.Colorado AvalancheMichigan State University
    Aaron Miller *6-4 (193)218 (99)8/11/71RBuffalo, N.Y.Los Angeles KingsUniversity of Vermont
    Brian Rafalski *5-9 (175)190 (86)9/28/73RDearborn, Mich.New Jersey DevilsUniversity of Wisconsin
    Mathieu Schneider ^5-11 (180)187 (85)6/12/69LNew York, N.Y.Detroit Red Wings

FORWARDS (13)
    Jason Blake5-10 (178)180 (82)9/2/73LMoorhead, Minn.New York IslandersUniversity of North Dakota
    Erik Cole6-2 (188)200 (91)11/6/78LOswego, N.Y.Carolina HurricanesClarkson University
    Craig Conroy6-2 (188)200 (91)9/4/71RPotsdam, N.Y.Los Angeles KingsClarkson University
    Chris Drury * 5-10 (178)180 (82)8/20/76RTrumbull, Conn.Buffalo SabresBoston University
    Brian Gionta5-7 (170)175 (79)1/18/79RRochester, N.Y.New Jersey DevilsBoston College
    Scott Gomez5-11 (180)200 (91)12/23/79LAnchorage, AlaskaNew Jersey Devils
    Bill Guerin *^6-2 (188)210 (95)11/9/70RWilbraham, Mass.Dallas StarsBoston College
    Mike Knuble6-3 (191)228 (103)7/4/72RToronto, Ont.Philadelphia FlyersUniversity of Michigan
    Mike Modano *^6-3 (191)205 (93)6/7/70LLivonia, Mich.Dallas Stars
    Mark Parrish6-0 (183)200 (91)2/2/77RMinneapolis, Minn.New York IslandersSt. Cloud State University
    Brian Rolston *#6-2 (188)210 (95)2/21/73LFlint, Mich.Minnesota WildLake Superior State University
    Keith Tkachuk *^%6-2 (188)225 (102)3/28/72LMelrose, Mass.St. Louis BluesBoston University
    Doug Weight *^5-11 (180)200 (91)1/21/71LWarren, Mich.St. Louis Blues

*2002 Olympic Team Member ^1998 Olympic Team Member #1994 Olympic Team Member %1992 Olympic Team Member

19. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Team Canada looks decent. One of the 5 teams with a decent shot to gold medal. I don't think there is a strong favourite this year after seeing the preliminary rosters.

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Chris Chelios is the oldest olympic athelete since sometime in the 20's [​IMG]